For Mark Tennenbaum

Help Support Steer Planet:

r.n.reed

Here is the calf pictured this summer at not quite 15 mo.He had been on grass and hay only for about 2 months at this time.No hair so you can see what he really is.

Attachments

• DSC00143 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC00143 (1280x960).jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 213

kiblercattle

I really like him... still. What are you going to do with him retain him for in herd use? What do you think he weighs now? How does he look from the rear?

r.n.reed

Kibler,I do plan to use him.I thought I had a rear view shot but must have deleted it.I think he is a well balanced calf all the way around.I would guess him around 1400, he hasn't been babied.

r.n.reed

Took this one last month,He is 18 months here.He ran with the cows at the end of the breeding season but according to the vet,his Daddy got them all.

Attachments

• DSC00398 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC00398 (1280x960).jpg
    856.2 KB · Views: 190

Dale

When I look at a bull (I've seen 4508 and Frontline), I look really hard, because a fault bred in can take many (even 5 or 6) generations to eliminate.  This herd, from 4508 on down, and from generations before 4508, is sound/fault-free, moderate cattle.  Look at trait leaders in CEZ.  There are some Shorthorns being used to moderate BW that do not carry the marbling and some other desirable traits that Kaper (Wolf Ridge) selects for.  Do your homework. 

mark tenenbaum

Although I havent looked at the epds that closely-you can see by the difference in his muscle pattern after getting run that Dale is on the money-that aint white meat-hes definitely a beef bull-and ought to be used on continental crosses etc-JMO-along with clubby Shorthorns O0

r.n.reed

mark tenenbaum said:
Although I havent looked at the epds that closely-you can see by the difference in his muscle pattern after getting run that Dale is on the money-that aint white meat-hes definitely a beef bull-and ought to be used on continental crosses etc-JMO-along with clubby Shorthorns O0
You are right Mark,he is about as honest as he can be in that picture.No hair and no fat.Here is a picture of his sire now 5 yrs old I took today and one of Double Brute also a Frontline son.

Attachments

• DSC00496 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC00496 (1280x960).jpg
    906 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC00518 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC00518 (1280x960).jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 179

Okotoks

r.n.reed said:
mark tenenbaum said:
You are right Mark,he is about as honest as he can be in that picture.No hair and no fat.Here is a picture of his sire now 5 yrs old I took today and one of Double Brute also a Frontline son.
Wolf Ridge Double Brute has a rib eye in the top 15%, Marbling in the top 5%, milk in the top 2% and $CE top 2% and $BMI top 4%  (clapping)

huntaway

Okotoks said:
r.n.reed said:
mark tenenbaum said:

Wolf Ridge Double Brute has a rib eye in the top 15%, Marbling in the top 5%, milk in the top 2% and $CE top 2% and $BMI top 4%  (clapping)

Not trying to knock the bull quite like the look of them all but how have those numbers been calculated. Am I right in saying he hasn't had carcass data submitted or any of his sires progeny. The accuracy of the carcass data is very low. Do you think his REA will be in the top 15% as it is now or in the 95% like his sire and dam.

r.n.reed

Definitely a low accuracy deal at this point Huntaway.He had a couple calves scanned this year in a contemporary group with calves by his sire and they excelled in imf.I fully expect his sires REA ranking to improve dramatically based on how his steers compared with other sire groups in this years ASA feedout.That data will be included in the next epd evaluation.There are also some high accuracy noted REA bulls laced throughout his pedigree as well.
You bring up another of my pet peeves with the new website,the fact that no scan data is posted.A casual observer would think there hasn't been a Shorthorn  scanned in the last 8-9 years by looking through the performance reports.They should eliminate the columns if they are not going to use them so that perception is not out there.

huntaway

r.n.reed said:
Definitely a low accuracy deal at this point Huntaway.He had a couple calves scanned this year in a contemporary group with calves by his sire and they excelled in imf.I fully expect his sires REA ranking to improve dramatically based on how his steers compared with other sire groups in this years ASA feedout.That data will be included in the next epd evaluation.There are also some high accuracy noted REA bulls laced throughout his pedigree as well.
You bring up another of my pet peeves with the new website,the fact that no scan data is posted.A casual observer would think there hasn't been a Shorthorn  scanned in the last 8-9 years by looking through the performance reports.They should eliminate the columns if they are not going to use them so that perception is not out there.

Thought that might have been the case regarding scanning data. How is the ASA feedout done. In the Australasian ebv system contempary groups are built at birth and animals can be removed from a group but never join a group, so if they are groups of steers coming together from different breeders to be feedout from an epd standpoint they wouldn't be comparable. Your system may be different.

Sorry to be using your animal but that bring's up one of my pet peeves which i see when I search prob 90% of animals up there. His birthweight is recorded in a contempory group of 14 but by the time of his yearling weight and probably when his scanning was done he is in a contempory group of 2 which for generating accurate epd's and identifying the elite animals is useless. All measurable traits should give you a nice bell curve if you plot the data. I would guess that is what you have if you plot his birthweight contempory group. For yearling weight you have two animals and ill guess they are your two best which are probably the higher growth animals in the bell curve but for particularly the second animal instead of being well above average in the group of 14 he is below average in the group of 2

r.n.reed

The calves for our feedouts all come from different farms and environments so the value of the data is compromised.It's the best we have right now.
  As to the contemporary groups as far as I am concerned,I cull hard and 9 years out of 10 you can make more selling calves than fats.If it's not good enough to go in my herd the calf is sold as a feeder unless I have enough to put a sire group together for the feedout.I am more impressed with weights as they relate to the cows efficiency than being the biggest in the pen.My goal is to have a calf crop that indexes 100 across the board.
You also have to take into account that I was married in 2012 so it took a very special bull to make the cut that year.

huntaway

I guess we have the advantage of being able to grow all our bulls out as a group and killing the culls for the same or sometimes more than fat steers to be made into burgers for you guys up there.

Duncraggan

r.n.reed, I know exactly your predicament!
Exactly the same for me, as we get penalised for intact bull calves if you want to sell them for slaughter at 14-20 months. The abbatoirs claim they have lower sub-cutaneous fat and penalise you, the end result is that your best profit is at weaning.
Logistically, keeping large numbers of bulls when you have a dry spell seems to lower the enjoyment factor as well.
Figures take a knock with this system but profitability is better, a real no-brainer for me!

r.n.reed

Duncraggen, we must never ignore the enjoyment factor.Some years that is the only profit we get.Here is a picture of some of the heifer mates to the Red Promise bull we have been talking about.They are bred to another Frontline son that we have here.

Attachments

• DSC00305 (1280x960) (2).jpg
    DSC00305 (1280x960) (2).jpg
    915.6 KB · Views: 220