For those confused, here is my bovine plan for '09.

Help Support Steer Planet:

MYT Farms

OK, I have had you folks look at Shorthorn bulls of all shapes sizes and types, Herefords, Gelbvieh, Charolais, ect, ect, ect. I have sparked breed debates, and made you all so confused about what I wanted to do because I was very unsure myself. Over the past week, Mom and Dad have really reined me in and finally made me sit down, shut up, and think things over. So, I think I have FINALLY capitalized on advice from my mentors and decided to what course to go. For those of you who are actually interested in the plight of a 15 year old, here is my immediate 1 year plan and my two and three year plan. I am still working on it from there and market, natural disaster, drought, flood, ect. may change this plan, but at least I know what I'm getting after. OK, here it is.
For this spring, I am expecting a few LimFlex calves out of my two commercial cows. A neighbor was kind enough to lease a bull this dry year, so we took what we could get. (No offense to the Limo breeders out there, I am excited for the '09 calf crop.) On my first calf heifer, I am eagerly expecting a N BAR Emulation EXT calf. On my purebred Angus cows, I am looking at getting calves from OCC Homer. If not Homer, then the Reg. Clean-up bull. OK, there is what I am getting in the way of calves. Now, here we get to buying/breeding/selling.
All my cows are young and in excellent condition, so none are getting culled. I have one Reg. bull calf for sale. (PM if interested. :D ) Other than that, it's all replacement heifers. I bought one more good doin' WF weanling heifer out of Dad's herd. I have one Reg. and one commercial heifer coming up for replacements as well.
Now, the new heifers all go to OCC Homer as he has been proven to be a very easy calving bull in our herds. My blue and two black commercial cows go to a Hereford bull for baldie calves. CL1 DOMINO 320N, I do believe. And that's that for breeding.
Now, here is where my showing passion comes in. A local Angus guy has always been real good about helping kids in the Angus business. So, I aim on trying to pick one up that I can breed this spring and try to take back as a bred heifer to Denver. Either that, or I would breed her for an early calf and take the weanling back to Denver in '11. THAT will be my show herd. He raises some pretty functional cattle, but he just has that growth, power, and milk it takes to raise a Denver worthy calf. If I buy one of his calves, I hope I could also get some help in learning how to specifically fit, clip, and grow hair on Angus. I may as well specialize because I know I will be part of the Registered Angus business.
Now, that LT Bluegrass might be used in the future for some smokie calves. I may even have a Gelbvieh bull in my line-up for some Balancer calves.
Welp, that's it. Sorry if it was boring. If any of you out there are ever in the area, please feel free to let me know so you can stop by and have a look. I thank you all for the advice and encouragement you have given to me.

klintdog

If you need any help picking out a Gelbvieh bull to breed those Angus to, just let me know :)

MYT Farms

klintdog said:
If you need any help picking out a Gelbvieh bull to breed those Angus to, just let me know :)

Yes sir, I see that you've had some great ones!  :D But, that's beside the point. Do you have, or know of any in particualr A.I. bulls to use on some moderate (5 frame) cattle that are pretty thick and have enough "body and bone", but just need a little shot of style and muscle? I appreciate it.

MYT Farms

kfacres said:
Sounds to me like you have very few cows, and are planning to breed to quite a few/ a wide variety of bulls.  Correct me if I am wrong...    

Well, this spring, 3 replacement heifers go to OCC Homer, a Registered Angus bull. My three commercial cows go to the Hereford, non-calving ease bull. Then, my two registered females go to OCC Homer again, or maybe to N Bar Emulation. 8 cows to breed. Then, next spring of 2010, I'll be using some LT Bluegrass and some Gelbvieh.

knabe

personally, i would try and go work for someone for a piece. you are young enough where people need work from people that aren't tied down by family etc.

work for someone who is going to denver or fort worth who specializes in something.

take advantage of being young.

what is market for calves?

MYT Farms

knabe said:
personally, i would try and go work for someone for a piece. you are young enough where people need work from people that aren't tied down by family etc.

work for someone who is going to denver or fort worth who specializes in something.

take advantage of being young.

what is market for calves?

Thanks Knabe. I already have some work lined up for the 2010 NWSS. I have considered working for a guy out of SD who sold me a cow. My market is mostly either feed 'em out myself and sell the beef or show 'em and sell 'em. The heifers are mostly for replacements until I can get a base built up and people start wanting to try my genetics. Either that or I sell some Private Treaty. Not many go across the scales as weaners. My ultimate oal is to be a seed-stock producer.

rtmcc

Might want to try and focus your program in one or at the most two directions.  We too only have ~15 females to breed each year.  We try to only use about three bulls including one calving ease bull on the heifers, so we can have some predictability. 

Look at the cattlemen around you and figure out what you can raise and sell to them.  We try to raise some pure bred show cattle but also keep an eye on what we can sell a lot higher than sale barn price.  You got sell a few good ones to pay the bills for the fun ones.

I agree with Knabe about the NWSS.  Go with somebody else for a couple of years and learn the system.  If you are working for somebody who has the same genetics as you, you may be able to work a deal to tie your heifer in with them while you are working for them.

klintdog

MYT Farms said:
klintdog said:

Yes sir, I see that you've had some great ones!  :D But, that's beside the point. Do you have, or know of any in particualr A.I. bulls to use on some moderate (5 frame) cattle that are pretty thick and have enough "body and bone", but just need a little shot of style and muscle? I appreciate it.

I shot you a pm.

MYT Farms

rtmcc said:
Might want to try and focus your program in one or at the most two directions.  We too only have ~15 females to breed each year.  We try to only use about three bulls including one calving ease bull on the heifers, so we can have some predictability. 

Look at the cattlemen around you and figure out what you can raise and sell to them.  We try to raise some pure bred show cattle but also keep an eye on what we can sell a lot higher than sale barn price.  You got sell a few good ones to pay the bills for the fun ones.

I agree with Knabe about the NWSS.  Go with somebody else for a couple of years and learn the system.  If you are working for somebody who has the same genetics as you, you may be able to work a deal to tie your heifer in with them while you are working for them.

Once again, thanks for the information. I'm looking to make some baldie and black calves that'll be the maternal, rugged genetics that are a must out here. Also, the smoky calves can get sold to some local kids for 4-H pretty easy. The Balancers? Looking to try them for mama cows and hopefully improve the feedyard qualities of the steers I sell.

MYT Farms

Throttle said:
jbw said:
sure hope that ext is a heifer!

and you have strong fences, regardless of sex. they get a little high strung, shall we say ;)

Well, I pray every night for an all heifer calf crop.  ;D Well, we've got some strong fences and a fast trailer if things get out of hand. Plus, the momma the calf'll be out of is a plenty gentle one. Maybe we'll get EXT's attitude canceled out.

CJC

Hope for bulls and you'll get heifers. I wanted heifers so bad that I wound up with 2 bulls and 1 heifer. I hope my next 4 will be bulls.  ;) ;)

klintdog

If you're working with a budget of any kind, I'd suggest working it three way - one where you get a majority of heifers, one with a 50/50 split, and one with a majority of steer calves. The first year after I bought a majority of my cows I was shooting for bulls to sell as seedstock, well mother nature decided I needed heifers instead. Luckily I had worked the budget based on those 3 assumptions and had a plan of where to go next.

I guess I always like to operate under the worst case scenario.

fluffer

I don't know where you are located but here is a site in ohio for Gelbvieh/Balancer cattle

www.ohiogelbvieh.com

Also any of you who have a gelbvieh/balancer/angus bull who would like to market semen on or cattle for sale for free check it out as well.  We are trying to build up a networking system for gelbvieh/balancer breeders.

We have used several gelbvieh bulls to produce balancer females.  My personal favorite is FHG Exclusive- yes I have seen him and know how ugly he is, but his offspring are not that ugly.  Trust me, I about kicked my husband out when he started breeding to him, but the calves are really good.  If you aren't worried about carcass traits you could try Mach one, Dar Nationa, etc. 

According to some studies a gelbvieh/hereford cross is the most profitable from a feedlot standpoint- just FYI

Fluffer

MYT Farms

fluffer said:
I don't know where you are located but here is a site in ohio for Gelbvieh/Balancer cattle

www.ohiogelbvieh.com

Also any of you who have a gelbvieh/balancer/angus bull who would like to market semen on or cattle for sale for free check it out as well.  We are trying to build up a networking system for gelbvieh/balancer breeders.

We have used several gelbvieh bulls to produce balancer females.  My personal favorite is FHG Exclusive- yes I have seen him and know how ugly he is, but his offspring are not that ugly.  Trust me, I about kicked my husband out when he started breeding to him, but the calves are really good.  If you aren't worried about carcass traits you could try Mach one, Dar Nationa, etc. 

According to some studies a gelbvieh/hereford cross is the most profitable from a feedlot standpoint- just FYI

Fluffer

Fluffer, thanks!! I'll look 'em up. BTW, ya think that a BWF F1 cross would work out with a Gelbvieh bull? Hey, I might be on to something..... :D Yes, I have read lots about how great the Gelbviehs are for improving feedyard qualities and have also heard that they make fair mommas. I'm located in central Colorado.Thanks again.

MYT Farms

klintdog said:
I guess I always like to operate under the worst case scenario.

:D, that's sound advice right there. I'm prepared for the worst, but am hoping I get lucky. BTW, I am still looking forward for that compiled list of bulls. :)