Ford V10

Help Support Steer Planet:

BadgerFan

Anyone have any experience with a Ford V10?  I don't put a million miles a year on a truck (only about 10-12,000 though most are hauling or pulling) so it's a bit tougher to justify a diesel.  Just wondering if this might not be a decent option.

Simmgirl03

Don't do it! Okay it might work for you, but we tried it for about 8 months and just couldn't afford the fuel it was going through.  Hauling three pairs we got less than 8 MPG.  My husband ended up going with the 2010 6.4L and has been extermely happy with it thus far.

sue

okay does your 6.4 have some special gear ratio??? I have thought about gas option too?

Crack me up is this 100% women on this truck post!

LUKE

V10's pull good but get horrible gas mileage empty or loaded.

chambero

I drove the Ford V10 in an F250 4x4 from around 2000 till last year (two different trucks).  I would get close to 15 mpg empty on an interstate to down just under 10 loaded.  Didn't matter how big a trailer or load.

I switched to a Dodge diesel a year.  The mileage is a lot better, but the maintenance cost on the emission system looks to be a potential nightmare.  I'm not sure the worse gas mileage offsets the extra cost of the diesel + the extra maintenance - especially if you don't drive many miles.

I never had a single problem with either V10.

It's simple enough to do the math on extra gas costs based on number of miles you probably drive vs. costs associated with diesel.

GoWyo

Look at your cost of oil changes too.  Diesels use about 3x the amount of oil in the crank case.  Also, if a diesel pukes after warranty expires, it seems I never get it back from the shop for less than $800.  The good thing is it has only been in the shop 2x in the 10 years I've owned it (knocking on wood right now  ;D)

DLD

I had a V10 and I liked it alot.  My experience with it was pretty much the same as Chambero's - mileage not all that much less than most diesels.  Considering the lower purchase price and the lower maintenance costs, you'd have to drive an awful lot of miles to make the diesel more cost effective.  I'd buy another one.

jason

They are claiming the new 6.7 diesel from Ford has been a huge improvement on fuel mileage. 

I think the biggest factor in choosing between gas and diesel is how many loaded miles that are you going to use it.  The diesel is going to shine over the gas when loaded down, but if you are pulling a trailer to a few shows a year it is hard to justify the added upfront cost.

jason

Just read some reports on the powerstroke forum that people are not getting much better than the 6.4.  Of course most of these engines are still getting broke in. 

Davis Shorthorns

BCCC said:
Anyone have a Ford F250 with the V8? How does it pull? Fuel any better than a V10?

DONT DO IT!!!  If you can step up to a V10 or a Diesel do it.  When I worked for ford the 1/2 ton 5.4 ltr had a 150 lb higher load capacity than the 3/4 ton 5.4 ltr.  As for the V10 ford triton motor I would not have any problem buying one if you drive short distances 90% of the time just make sure to put a motorcraft oil filter on it.  It will help prevent the cold start up knock that alot of the V10's had.

kanshow

I have a Ford V10 4x4 Excursion.  I get 14 mpg empty, loaded, pulling or not.    It's been a great vehicle.. which Ford still made 'em - the body ..  I know they still have the V10. 

DLD

BCCC said:
Anyone have a Ford F250 with the V8? How does it pull? Fuel any better than a V10?

The difference in mileage is not so great as you might think.  If you drive alot of highway miles unloaded and don't pull real heavy loads when you are loaded, then the 5.4 would work for you.  If you drive more shorter trips and load it heavier and/or more often, the 6.8 is probably a better choice.  Both are good motors, and both plenty capable (my father in law pulls a 24' x 6'8" steel stock trailer with an '04 5.4 and loads it up - it'll pull it all day every day, just not real fast), it just depends on what you expect from them.  Rear end gears make a big difference in how they pull, especially with the 5.4 . Also, the '05 and up gas motors (V8 and V10) are 3 valve, the older ones are 2 - the newer ones are noticeably stouter.

Silver

Never had a triton v10, but I have had a triton v8. We would of went with a diesel, but we needed something to feed the herd in the winter and diesels don't always start. It has held up good and has probably the toughest 125,000 miles I have ever put on a truck. I personally would urge you to find a diesel in your price range.

Latest posts