Fort Worth & Houston

Help Support Steer Planet:

WB

Is this the first time that someone has had Grand Champion steer at both Fort Worth and Houston?  And to anyone that was at both, which steer did you like better?

rackranch

For me, Houston steer by far. As mentioned, very difficult to compare a hair with a slick but when they can slick and look that good you have something.  Best two slicks I have ever seen, Newman's San Antonio steer and this one.  2011 SA steer is the best I've ever laid my eyes on.

chambero

I'm pretty sure Newman's aunt won Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston all in the same year back in the late 70s or early 80s.

There have been several kids win all three shows, but I don't remember if any did two in one year.  I know Stetson Copus won all three, I think one of the Moylan girls did, and there are probably some others I'm forgetting about.

When both of Newman's calves walked in the ring, it was pretty clear in each case what was about to happen.  I'm splitting hairs here, but Newman's Houston calf walked kind of choppy on the front end.  The judge even commented on it -advising him to quit holding the calf back and let him walk.  I didn't see him outside of his initial class to see if that corrected itself.

As hard as I looked, I couldn't find a fault in his Fort Worth calf.

Dusty Farms

I saw the Houston steer walk by our stalls and only thing I could really fault him on was he was a bit choppy off his rear wheels as well.  Didn't get to see him show.  He was definitely stout.  The ft worth steer was pretty much flawless, but I thought we was also a little choppy off his back end.  Probably due to him being so powerfull.