Frame

Help Support Steer Planet:

Judge

Would like t know peoples opinions on frame score. Do we get carried away with the size of an animal particularly bulls in the show ring when it comes to frame? If you have one of the more moderate frames but is made right vs a monster that is coarse, what animal would you place first

BTDT

Around here it is just the opposite, they see to pick them "moderate", which to me, is too small.
So I have often thought, "If you have a 6-6.5 frame bull that is smooth, thick, and super correct in movement, and have a 5-5.5 frame bull that is too course in the shoulders, would you place the "larger bull" first?"

RyanChandler

depends which is more complete.  You built a case for the 6-6.5 frame and then only commented on one characteristic for the 5 frame.  And unless we have weights as well, we can't really say which is larger.  Animals are 3 dimensional.  Height is only 1. 

BTDT

Ok, xbar, all things being EQUAL, which do you pick? WDA, ADG,EPD's, all the same including W/F (weight per inch of frame - my own little epd) which do you pick?

aj

I got my Kansas Livetock magazine today. The steer that one a feedlot contest was pictured. He looked to be fine boned.....was longer and tighter ribbed looking than what I guessed. Low prime. 14 something rib eye. I think the showring steers today are way to big boned coarse jointed.

Steve123

Quality grade has an inverse relationship to bone. Bone goes up quality grade goes down.

knabe

aj said:
I got my Kansas Livetock magazine today. The steer that one a feedlot contest was pictured. He looked to be fine boned.....was longer and tighter ribbed looking than what I guessed. Low prime. 14 something rib eye. I think the showring steers today are way to big boned coarse jointed.

What was his wda and conversion rate. Somewhat useless or misleading from a genetic standpoint if he wasnt pinpointered.

twistedhshowstock

I dont think you can say we get carried away with frame.  I agree some judges rely to heavily on it, but that can be said of any trait.  I think the problem becomes when judges become sticklers for any single trait and use it to line the entire class up.  In my opinion a class shouldnt be decided on which is the most desirable in frame or which is most feminine or which is the widest in the stifle or which is the best haired, but we all know judges that will use just one single trait and line them up.  When I judge I line them up on lack of faults, we can criticize frame and call it a fault, but if that is really the only fault a calf has then it doesnt have to be buried for it. At the same time I think we have to consider frame for a number of reasons, it can be a sign of growth patterns, it can affect yield, the industry(both the show ring and the feedlot/packer) have a frame they prefer, etc etc.