Fringe-What are the BWS really like

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

For whatever reason(s) the epds on Fringe are basically beyond redemption-anybody out there had any calves-and if so-how big, bad etc? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 11010982_989571734388149_223975472732588776_n.jpg
    11010982_989571734388149_223975472732588776_n.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 386

hbcc

I have 3 coming in 2017 2 heifers and 1 bull calf. We have never calved any out before but from what I am told if you are used to calving out club calves and shorthorns it isn't much different.

shortyjock89

The ones we had out of 9111 were anywhere from 95-125 lbs, with one at about 80 and one and 140+.

I will say that she had similar results with AoD, and that Durbans don't seem to have issues with his BW.

mark tenenbaum

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
The ones we had out of 9111 were anywhere from 95-125 lbs, with one at about 80 and one and 140+.

I will say that she had similar results with AoD, and that Durbans don't seem to have issues with his BW.///Thanks  Gotta a pretty big low BW cow that I think hed work on.

mbigelow

Mark I have not used the bull but of the 269 reported calves at the Asa 30% are over 100lbs and five were over 140.  His epd suggest that he would be this way.

mark tenenbaum

mbigelow said:
Mark I have not used the bull but of the 269 reported calves at the Asa 30% are over 100lbs and five were over 140.  His epd suggest that he would be this way.//// This cow family is historically low BW-Assasins less than 72 pounds-If that's any consolation-I don't like his epds. etc-but I need one made like that from the rear and they don't exist that I know of other than ones like him. O0

DCC_Cattle

We own Fringe and use him on all of our Purebred cows as well as a clean-up bull for the rest of the herd. Here are the results we've had...

Shorthorn cows - birth weights have ranged from 75-148#. Those big calves are coming out of cows that normally have big calves. We've had no bigger calves out of Fringe then we have had out of Ace of Diamonds, Chiller, Double Vision, etc..

Club Calf cows - birth weights have ranged from 65-120#. Same as above, some cows throw big calves no matter what bull. Surprisingly our smaller calves have been out of Heat Wave cows.

Commercial cows - 70-110# birth weights. Just like the other groups, depends on the cows.

With all of that being said - we always tell people to use him with caution. Or just keep an eye on your cows close to calving. The Fringe's seem to have a longer gestation, so that may play into that bigger birthweight. We are in the business of raising club calves and we expect big calves no matter what bulls we use. A lot come unassisted and some need pulled. We've never had a c-section out of Fringe (KNOCK ON WOOD). Those EPD's scare a lot of people, but we don't really focus on those entirely since we are raising clubby cattle. There are several Fringe daughters that we have sold that are now in production and they are having calves with average birth weights and calving on their own. If anyone has any other questions, let me know!

mark tenenbaum

DCC_Cattle said:
We own Fringe and use him on all of our Purebred cows as well as a clean-up bull for the rest of the herd. Here are the results we've had...

Shorthorn cows - birth weights have ranged from 75-148#. Those big calves are coming out of cows that normally have big calves. We've had no bigger calves out of Fringe then we have had out of Ace of Diamonds, Chiller, Double Vision, etc..

Club Calf cows - birth weights have ranged from 65-120#. Same as above, some cows throw big calves no matter what bull. Surprisingly our smaller calves have been out of Heat Wave cows.

Commercial cows - 70-110# birth weights. Just like the other groups, depends on the cows.

With all of that being said - we always tell people to use him with caution. Or just keep an eye on your cows close to calving. The Fringe's seem to have a longer gestation, so that may play into that bigger birthweight. We are in the business of raising club calves and we expect big calves no matter what bulls we use. A lot come unassisted and some need pulled. We've never had a c-section out of Fringe (KNOCK ON WOOD). Those EPD's scare a lot of people, but we don't really focus on those entirely since we are raising clubby cattle. There are several Fringe daughters that we have sold that are now in production and they are having calves with average birth weights and calving on their own. If anyone has any other questions, let me know!//// Thanks-and you have produced some awfully good cattle too O0