Frozen Ears

Help Support Steer Planet:

johnmetzger

Taken a shot here, I believe I seen a site on here that offered a type of head sock that held the calves ears down on their neck to help prevent frostbite. had eye holes and a muzzle opening for nursing. Also came in different colors which doesn't matter to me, just thought it might remind someone. Any help would be great. Thank-you.

frostback

Dry them as much as possible, then use a nylon to put the ears against the neck then a bit of duck tape so mom dosnt lick them again.

jbzdad

sullivan supply has calf ear muffs... I think wrapping them with coban would work better

coban and "vet wrap" are the same things

diamonddls

Keep them dry is the most important. If your wrapping them be sure not tape/wrap to tight you want the blood circulating properly. I think Kane vet supplies sells an ear muff for calves. Although some of the effective methods I've seen is a beleclava tape over the calf's head or a "hockey sock pulled over the head and taped on. For sue would delay tagging calf if worried about frozen ears that can speed up the process.

cowpoke

-4 degrees in Ia on Thanksgiving would shorten some fall calving ears Some people use nylon stockings and I have seen some duct taped.I think Sullivans have had some in past.I have also seen body blankets for small calves.We have found that a protected area with a heat lamp or infra red heat works best if temps are -20 below which isn't often.

DSCSD

dmso and vetwrap the ears back.... works for us in -30 anyway.... but most of ours calve in a barn when it gets that cold.... which means a lot of cleaning pens.... which hopefully a night guy does this coming calving season!

FriedgesCharolais

Last year I just cut the sleeves off an old sweatshirt and slid that over the calves head and duct taped it on. Worked really well and it was cheap!

Spencer10218

you could also use foal blankets on the calf's body. we use them at work on the foals and they rarely are able to take them off by themselves. you could try vet wrapping some socks on the ears

simba

Same idea as the vet wrap, but we just duct tape the ears back. It doesn't stick too much to the hair so it's easy to take off. Just don't wrap the duct tape too tight around the calf's neck.