FSF Assassin, FSF Starburst, or LCCC Churchill

Help Support Steer Planet:

nkotb

Have a group of shorthorns we are going to be breeding in the next month, curious what people's thoughts are on these three bulls?  Most of the cows are well made, feminine, could be moderated, and wouldn't hurt to make them a little flashier.  They are all sound and milk well.  Would be looking for heifers, but will probably get all steers.  Any opinions?  Have had good luck with Asset and Sonny bred bulls in the past, had some competitive state fair steers out of this bunch, and a couple pretty good show heifers.

Thanks

mark tenenbaum

Assasin and Starburst are similar types-and go back to the thickest Shorthorn x cow  who probably ever was-the valley rose-Churchill is a different type-but like the other 2-pretty moderate-although Straburst and Assasin would be more so-JMO. I wouldnt call either calving ease -just cuz they are smaller-but youll get quality. The:soundest, coolest-thickest butted square made ,and a little larger bull Ive seen was Absolut-at Denver-2008-hes a Sonnyx Double Stuff x fullblood maine-double kleen but didnt look it(his dam was a double carrier)  Stream Cattle had him but just didnt have time to promote him-but when I was walking around Denver with Loren Tjeyckle ( very very good club-show calves-along with his daughter-Malane of Abertees) WE BOTH DID A DOUBLE TAKE-and Im going to use him-because he really has some scale with the rest of it-  Abertees Rock n Roll Train will also surprise on some of the bigger cows-and hes also a bonified ez calver:the champ Shorthorn steer at Louisville was by him-and was not a pud at all.-If it were me-in place of the Churchill-Sonny breeding-Id try Absolut. And maybe Assassin over Starburst for the out and out KABA (bloodlines)blast,with Starburst on the largest cows. JMO O0

Doc

Haven't seen a lot of Churchills. I would say a totally different type of bull than the other two. I like the look of Assasin and I like the way he is bred . With that being said , I'm not going to use him this spring. My Starburst semen will be here on Friday. I'm using Starburst and Swagger pretty heavy this spring on the cows, with a little Durango and a couple of Kabooms.. I'm using Mercedes Benz, I-80 and SULL Payday on the heifers.

nkotb

Most of these cows will be 14-1600#, would guess them to be large frame 7's or possibly 8's.  I went with Churchill because I have liked the heifers I found when I searched for him on here, and these cows have worked well to Sonny sons in the past.

mark tenenbaum

nkotb said:
Most of these cows will be 14-1600#, would guess them to be large frame 7's or possibly 8's.  I went with Churchill because I have liked the heifers I found when I searched for him on here, and these cows have worked well to Sonny sons in the past///I dont think Churchill will change them like the others-no up close maine or clubby in there-he should have been alot bigger when you look at his breeding so if these cows arent real stout-then you may be dissappointed-the other 2-or 3 if you would use Absolut-would probably have the kind of 3-4 generation thickness it takes to change a big,long,maybe somewhat hardoing looking Shorthorn cow-1st go. Hardoing looking compared to a clubby female,maine,smmi x bred etc-that is: ALM Chiller is another Sonny Son that has sired numerous good ones for MANY years-but he isnt real extreme either-just moderate and easy calving-works best on real extreme clubby looking females. O0