ft worth sale on RFD

Help Support Steer Planet:

old timer

For those interested, the Ft worth salke of champions is live on RFD tommorrow morning.  Ft worth is the best run steer shows in the world (IMO).  The sale has always been awesome and I expect the same this year.  The sale committe works their butts off and it shows.  Tun in and see a why the Texas program is so strong.

trevorgreycattleco

125,000 for the reserve steer. Boom boom goes the dynamite :) I would have to say that junior selling that is smiling. Good for him! So what happens to the steer after? Does he get ate?

chambero

Grand and reserve steer go to the Fort Worth zoo for their TX exhibit.

SFASUshowman

I am not sure what the amounts are but I dont think the exhibitor gets all of the money, though they do get a pretty sizeable chunk. They ussually have guaranteed amount that the champion gets, a different amount for reserve, one for breed champs, breed reserves, etc, etc.  Then they have a max that they will pay out at each level as well.  The difference gets put in a pot and they draw out of it to meet the minimum on animals that may not make that amount, which I dont think that happens a whole lot, then they also use the excess for things like scholarships, scrambles, awards, premiums, etc.
I didnt know about the Champ and Res going to the zoo, but I thought everything got killed for carcass evaluations. 
And for those that asked, it may not have been in this post, these steers can not go to the othe majors, they get branded and cant go on to the others, that is the same at the other majors, you will see different market animals at Ft Worth, San Antonio, and Houston

chambero

Kid gets all the money at Fort Worth.  No carcass contest here either.  Fort Worth keeps it old school.

The zoo exhibit is actually pretty neat.  Those steers look a little different come June.  I've seen the last four or five sets of steers at that time of year.

TottenClubCalves

185,000 for grand and 125,000 for reserve. That is actually very dissapointing. It a low for quite sometime I heard. last years grand sold for 205,000 and that was a low as well. they expected it to go up to atleast 225,000 this year and I believe it would have if this s torm wouldnt have hit and crippled the stock show. Alot of vendors and even the exhibitiors lost money due to the snow and ice that practically shut down ft worth for 3 days.

The sire was milkman x jack frost embryo. Steer was orginally from mike mims for 17,000 and was the retraded to the family that won with him. I dont know what they paid for him. I do know that mike told me that calve had a 153 bw.

chambero

Go to the Fort Worth Star Telegram and read the article on the sale.  According to it, this was the second highest price ever for Grand behind last years.  Overall, the steer sale brought in more money than ever.

Fort Worth does a great job of pushing money down to all steers in the sale.

Joe Boy

The kid that bought a steer from my brother took 2nd in his class of the American breed and got $6,000.

texas111

Last years grand champ at ft worth set a record high price that hasent been beat in over 4 years i believe.  Last years was a great selling price.  The exhibitor doesnt get to keep all the money they only get a portion of it. 

chambero

Read the premium books for Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston.  The kids get it all at Fort Worth.  I've had friends that have had breed champions each of the last few years and my own kids have been in the sale.  Houston in particular designates and limits the money received on every single calf throughout the sale.  Fort Worth absolutely positively does not.

There might be some things to not like about the Fort Worth show (the huge classes, the severity of the sift, etc) but the businesses in this city and the show itself does the steer sale right.  They sell a bunch of steers and they get the money gathered up and distributed very fairly I think.  10th place calves bring as much as 1st and 2nd places many times (5,000+ almost always).

As much as I love Houston's scholarship program (I got one way back when), Fort Worth's scholarship program is more focused on getting money to kids that actually participate in the show.  The heifer show has a really cool scholarship program called the Beef Heifer Superintendent's Challenge (or something like that) that involves tests and interviews - held during the show - on actual cattle knowledge.  I think they gave $50,000+ in scholarships to six or so kids.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/02/05/2826625/grand-champion-steer-sells-for.html#

crown33

I don't know much about the shows down in Texas but is the Fort Worth Show only for kids in the state of Texas or can anyone from different states show there?