Attachments

• 2012-02-03_13-18-00_613.jpg
    2012-02-03_13-18-00_613.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 301
  • 2012-02-03_13-16-35_558.jpg
    2012-02-03_13-16-35_558.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 190

twistedhshowstock

Shaurer wins it with the Grand Cross, an orange colored calf out of Heatwave.  Martin Reserve with the Reserve Cross, a black calf out of Monopoly.  I saw that orange calf over the summer to and he was a dang good one.  Looking at the pics posted that was a hell of a shorthorn to and the Herf was a hell of a herf.  From what I have seen looks like it was a tough champion drive!

dimebag

The Shauer calf was awesome , when came in the ring in class , I knew he would be in the hunt . The Martin calf was really good too , the shorthorn calf could have easily been reserve .

Bradenh

the calf that won grand was stalled over by us and it was obvious he was special, by far the best calf i have laid eyes on tied in a stall up close and in person, his legs were as big around as a tree and he walked like a cat as a heavy weight

j3cattleco

This was my first time to Ft Worth and it was a lot of fun.  Breed champs were all very good.  Angus was smoking especially for as hard as I guess the classing went.  Both Herefords were good.  Really liked the ABC.  He was super smooth and correct while maintaining plenty of character.  The shorthorn was a freak!  Stoutest legged and biggest topped one I have seen.  Not very big.  IF you call him big enough I don't know where you change him.  Grand was excellent in his own way.  As compared to the shorthorn he was a notch bigger and probably a notch longer fronted.  Not better just longer.  Reserve was also very good.  Probably was more the type and kind of the shorthorn.  A notch more moderate and way stout.  He was bigger than the shorthorn and I think when you used the champ cross you had to follow with the reserve.  The shorthorn was just outside the box he was a freak in very way, and all good in my book!

Joshua

chambero

I didnt see the Shorty, but he came out of the hvy wt class and several folks told he was significantly shorter than the middle wt winner.  Both exotics looked about right frame wise to me, but that was as pretty of a yellow calf as Ive ever seen.

j3cattleco

All I know about the cross,  is info from Matt Lautners blog.  The polled hereford came from Eric Drager and Jay Carr.  The shorthorn was raised by the Blands I was told and he was a jpj x heat wave.

Chambero,  I agree with everything you have said.  I don't think I would want one any bigger than the grand but he was a Cadillac! 

Joshua

OH Breeder

j3cattleco said:
All I know about the cross,  is info from Matt Lautners blog.  The polled hereford came from Eric Drager and Jay Carr.  The shorthorn was raised by the Blands I was told and he was a jpj x heat wave.

Chambero,  I agree with everything you have said.  I don't think I would want one any bigger than the grand but he was a Cadillac! 

Joshua

From that picture that Shorthorn was a Hoss. Wow he's got some mass.

cowboybecoachin

Champ Angus was very good. He was also a Heatwave. Not sure how he got classed. 30 kicked out, including about 15 full-blood Angus. Happens every year.

Texas Dude

The pics on the blog do not do this calf justice. I saw him up close all week. Super nice and was very good on the move.

chambero

The Champ Angus didnt look like that when he went thru.  The sifters werent playing names - they kicked out some of the biggest names in the Angus steer deal.  You cant have to leave their hair a little long on top and on the butt to hide some of that thickness in the sift plus the right head shape.  A bunch of the big Angus breeders need to get together and offer a remedial workshop on what Angus males look like.

cowboybecoachin

Chambero, you are right. From my info, those fitting the champ "dressed him down" for the classification. I know we have told our customers to lead them through "dirty" with the hair pulled down.

I also will tell them in the future to lead them  through toward the last if possible. 5 of the forst 8 classed out, which meant about 25 classed out of the next 120 or so.

Again, happens every year, and the Ft. Worth show, and is not interested in DNA. Neither are those who are good at getting one like the champ in as an Angus.

Probably the only one's that would like to see the change are Angus breeders like myself. I hate the idea that a calf is "too good to be an Angus".

On the other hand, I have had % Maine calves win British shows. They looked a lot more "Angus" than the Lutton calf classed out this week. It is just a game that DNA would correct.

Also, there are Angus that have a longer face and bigger ears than "typical". Some Ravens and Hot Rods have some big old ears.

I know it is part of the game as the "rules" now stand. However, it can be frustrating when some of the best calves you have raised class out 3 years in a row, and they are straight Angus.

Congrats to the champ. I hope to get as good at what they do as they are.