fuller look

Help Support Steer Planet:

showman4

Any suggestions on filling our calves and giving them a softer bellied look on show day?!

The Show

For filling them out I would recommend beet pulp or winning fill.

For a softer look they need to have more finish on them. Depending on your calf's weight, age, time until show, etc... you could increase the amount of corn in their ration or use a supplement such as Glu-coat or both. Just depends on your situation.

Simmgal

We use Full Tank, but some people don't like it. It works best if you feed it a couple weeks before the show and gradually increase the amount. It also helps if you have had show cattle on a reallly green pasture, and they have the squirts!  ;)

Sassy2899

The night before a show I don't feed or water my calves, just give them hay.  Then, on show morning I pull them in from tie-outs and give them a bath.  After the bath I let them drink as much water as they want.  I give them their regular feeding, once they eat that I combine Full Tank and Beet Pulp and give it to them without watering the Beet Pulp down.  Then, I let them eat as much as they want up until last call to head to the holding area.  10-15 minutes before the show I let them drink as much water as they want again and keep putting feed in front of them.  This seems to work well for me.

The Show

Simmgal said:
We use Full Tank, but some people don't like it. It works best if you feed it a couple weeks before the show and gradually increase the amount. It also helps if you have had show cattle on a reallly green pasture, and they have the squirts!  ;)
Forgot about that one! I love Full Tank

rasor club calves

got a bag of full tank. want to try it. at the show stock u grad progam in ohio a couple weeks ago and bruce stertzbach said don't give um anything the night before except hay and the morning up feed um the ration and then all they can eat then ask your neighbor for half a bag of his feed and let them eat as much as much they will take in and don't water till they go in the chute and have two buckets ready at all times.