Funniest Moments.....

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowboy Up

I have to write a 5-8 minute entertainment speech for a speech class at school. I was kind of interested in doing it on the funny stuff that goes on at cattle shows. I only have a couple funny times that I remember, so I thought I could get some help from you guys. Not sure on the deadline yet, but would really like so good stories in the next couple days.  :)

Thanks a bunch in advance guys!

CU  <cowboy>

red

I remember once, before twinning (not sure on the spelling of that?) or such was banned, a steer had so much graphite that when it walked a cloud of black dust poofed around it.

Another thing is all the stuff people bring to shows. I've seen groups that cook an entire meal & have picnic table. Also, one nut job  ::) took a cat to several shows. No comment on that from me though.  :)))

Red

LN

I had a lot of my family (city slickers) help us at a cattle show we were hosting and they asked one of the exhibitors why they put "mohawks" on their heifers' tails.

Sometimes it's interesting to hear an outsiders point of view of the silly things we do.

red

not beef show related but when I showed Jerseys for FFA they usually were horned back then. My one heifer went after the Jersey queen & tore her dress ( we wore long prom type dresses then). It was my first year showing & I just wasn't prepared for her dislike to taffeta!

Red

Cowboy Up

Ok guys, kind of thought of another route to go.

Stupid things City Slickers say. I know a lot of you have probably had someone ask you a REALLY stupid question about your cattle, your farm or anything.

Thanks again guys

N2ShowN

Again more Dairy related, but i have often heard "which ones give chocolate milk?" from the city slickers

Bawndoh

Also....I quite often get asked about my "Sales Rep" job.  I tell them I sell beef and dairy semen. 
I get looks of absolute disgust, and squishy faces, and questions, and many assumptions.  Oh....its fun.
I think they think I roll my hands around in a big pail of it or something......sick, really sick, but true. 

renegade

Bawndoh said:
Also....I quite often get asked about my "Sales Rep" job.  I tell them I sell beef and dairy semen. 
I get looks of absolute disgust, and squishy faces, and questions, and many assumptions.  Oh....its fun.
I think they think I roll my hands around in a big pail of it or something......sick, really sick, but true.   

Off topic but msn is my home page and one day they had a story about the weird crap they put in facials - in britan some where black angus semen was used in one spa! Grossed me out.

When they ask if they cow or steer or whatever will bite I tell them they only have bottom teeth so if they did it wouldnt hardly hurt lol people about fall over when they hear that - idk why

N2ShowN

Many years ago while showing cattle atthe state fair I had a very interesting experience.  I was clipping a bull calf in the doorway of the building because the light was good.  A fairly large crowd had gathered to watch and as i clipped his belly I got a little to close to his sheath a couple of times and he excited himself.
Needless to say that turned into him full on pleasuring himself.  All I could do at the point was go sit on a show box and wait for him to be done.  That crowd got a pretty good free show and at the time it was a bit embarassing.  now it's just funny.

renegade

It seems like the are awed by the fact that we can lead them around and clip them and the fitting and stuff that we do in the first place that when stuff like that happens they just laugh lol

box6rranch

We actually had someone who came to county fair ask us at what age do bulls change into steers!

Also we show shorthorns and we've had a lot of people ask why we call them shorthorns when they don't have any horns at all :O)

Rocky Hill Simmental

Some people just don't get that angus aren't the only black cattle in the world. Sometimes when they see my signs, they'll comment that they thought those would have been angus cattle so I explain to them that they're black simmentals. Except one year, there was this guy who just couldn't believe my heifers weren't angus (even though one of them had a white face). He kept saying, "How do you know their simmentals?! They look like anguses to me! They're black!" He finally left, but he wasn't happy about it.  :D

Then there's the hard core city slickers that think that all cows are black and white spotted like a holstein and get confused when they see a red cow.

I had a professor who told me an odd one. She said there were these 2 old women who drove past her old university's dairy farm and stopped by and asked how often the students moved those "card board cows" around.. The cows were real live cows.

I also knew this girl who thought that the energy drank called "Red Bull" was made from bull semen because the semen gave people energy.  (lol)

And you can't forget the city people who walk through the barns at the fair and hold their nose!  ;)

txshowlamb

Just got back from a show stopped at a gas station and the cashier asked my dad does that monster thing right there(pointing at my steer in the trailer)listen to that iddy bitty thing right there(pointing to me) wow thats all i can say
Brittney

shortyjock89

txshowlamb said:
Just got back from a show stopped at a gas station and the cashier asked my dad does that monster thing right there(pointing at my steer in the trailer)listen to that iddy bitty thing right there(pointing to me) wow thats all i can say
Brittney

That's kinda how people reacted when my sister showed a Senior Yearling when she was 9.  My tiny little sister was out there bossing around a coming two year old heifer, and she was BIG.  We wouldn't have let her show the heifer, but it was her first calf, and the heifer never once tried to hurt my sister.

Doc

When I transport my semen tank sometimes I will put in the front passeneger seat & strap it in with the seatbelt. One day I went thru the Hardee's drivethru, when I got up to the window for my order I asked the girl if she could fill my coffee thermos. She said sure , to hand it to her. I reached over & undid the seatbelt on the semen tank & started acting like I was going to hand it to her. She started screaming for me to stop & screaming for the manager at the same time. Needless to say the manager didn't see the humor in it.

klintdog

At Rapid City this week we had a group of kids walk through wearing masks because of the 'odor' - and this is in the heart of cattle country.

At Denver last year we had a lady ask us if she could have some hair while we were clipping. We kind of looked at each other and said 'sure'. The lady came back 10 minutes later with a plastic bag and gathered up all the hair. No idea what she planned to do with it.

Every year in Billings there is a lady who walks around with a rabbit in a baby carriage. I'm not sure what her story is, but she wears a dust mask and walks up and down every aisle with this rabbit sitting in a baby carriage.

red

I also like the ones that walk through the barn & literaly freak out if they step in some manure. One woman said she need to buy some new shoes right away. It was just a little on the bottom of her shoe but she made me look at it. I thought at first she was going to suggest I buy her new ones!

Also many people think that all cows should be black & white like Holsteins. One pointed a our bull & asked how much milk he gave. At least they knew milk did come from cows & knew the difference between a cow & bull but still thought bulls produced milk.

Red

4sistersshowingwhatwegot

Last year, at our county fair, a mother walked up to our stall and asked if her kids could pet our steer.  Sure, no problem. It was REALLY hard to keep a straight face when she told me that her kids also wanted to milk one!!!