Galant Semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

caledon101

We may never fully understand the behaviours of animals and why some bulls are so inconsistent with respect to disposition. I am sure we all agree that taking calves away from their mothers at birth and raising them as veal calves in a confined and competitive environment with other calves and then shipping them thousands of miles to a quarantine station for many months of continued confinement and then sending them to a collection facility where they are surrounded by other bulls, again in a competitive environment where they reside in solitude but can see all around them, isn't exactly a natural way of life for them. Maybe it's reasonable to expect them to become frustrated and unpredictable?
We see it in highly intelligent animals like the Orca, some of which have killed their trainers. Odd how we take highly intelligent mammals such as apes, elephants and dolphins and train them to do senseless tricks and behave like humans for our own entertainment and profit and are then horrified when they snap.

Northern Bred

I'm certainly happy to have found this discussion; I was searching for info on the Simmentals of the 1970s and I came upon this. We were dairying then and we crossed Holstein cows with Simmental bulls. Those bulls were quite different from today's Simmental cattle. The bulls that we used then were big with a heavy hide and major curly hair. Fabulously doing calves (eating starter like feeder calves at a week old) but this came with plenty of calving issues. We always had lots of hamburger in the freezers. Thank you to all, for this discussion.