Genetic Blood Test

Help Support Steer Planet:

WMW11

Is there a way to blood test cattle to see what breed they are?  Or if they have a percentage of a certain breed?  Thanks

3dfarms

There are tests out there to verify parentage.  Most of those tests are done through a breed association where they already know what breed an animal is and you are trying to identify or clarify if an animal is from that lineage.  An example of that is we verify parentage on all ET calves.  The breed association has DNA on all donors as well as AI sires and therefore they match the DNA with that of the sire and dam before registering that animal as an ET calf.

Pfizer Animal Genetics (www.pfizeranimalgenetics.com) has a test called SireTRACE that verifies the sire of a calf in a multi sire herd.  Same situation here too that they have DNA samples on file of each potential sire.

Those are the DNA tests I am most familiar with.  Do you have a picture of the animal?  Certain breeds have certain characteristics and from a picture or a few different pictures maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

WMW11

Thanks.  I am not trying to determine just one animal, but trying to figure a way to regulate what is shown in a certain breed class.  In this case not every animal is going to be sired by a bull on file.

3dfarms

I see.  If it is an actual "breed" class then most shows require you to provide registration papers from that breed association along with the animal at check in. 

That takes the guess work out for you.  Also, some shows we show at let you show 3/4 or more Simmentals in the Simmental breed show.  The American Simmental Association registers calves 1/2 blood or more, so it is represented on that animals papers.

Most shows have an All Other Breed (AOB) shows for breeds with less than a set number of entrants as well as a Commercial Show.  Those would be the classes that the Reg. papers are not required or not needed.

I hope this helps.r

JackI

Besides urine test, blood test can is another method to detect diseases. Many doctors preferred to use this method. An innovative blood examination to detect cancer cells might eventually replace conventional methods. I found this here: New cancer blood test could revolutionize diagnosis and treatment. The new cancer blood test could make early detection of cancer easier. Testing a patient's blood using the brand new technique could result in more effective treatment and help determine if the cancer has been defeated.

Latest posts