Getting back in

Help Support Steer Planet:

Stewart

I want to raise cattle again. This time club calves so my kids can be involved in buying, raising, and showing our new herd.  Red is the color we decided on.  What breed or mix of breeds will excell in the ring and give my family a great foundation to build on?  How about a nice AI sire to start with?  Thanks!

twistedhshowstock

well if you set on red I would say either go with Red Angus or Shorthorns if you want to guarantee red cattle.  There are more and more red club calves all the time, but with the composite of breeds representative in most club calf type cattle it is almost impossible to guarantee what color one will come out.  In this day and age I prefer to buy based on the quality of the calf rather than the color of the calf.

Pipeliner

I'd go with red angus as well if you want all red cattle. There are alot of good reds out there and there Is getting to b more and more every year. It's a good time to get in. IMO. I could even hook you up with some names of breeders to call.

Stewart

Thanks for your input.  Think I'll start the look with red angus and shorthorn breeders in my area.  I might need some help with some breeders names as not many that I know of in my area have the female power I'm looking to start with.  I'll start the search on the net. 

kfacres

Zach said:
I'd go with pigs.

i agree... it will be more enjoyable, and quicker turn around for you to buy them an already broke show calf every year, and raise pigs...

your comments and questions lead me to believe that you were never 'in', in the first place...  your question of red, only screams one answer, shorthorn or red angus, and you desire to want a AI bull that will be a great starting place, tells me your knowledge of genetics isn't much.. as you can't take any ole bull, and mate him to cows you don't have, and make a great calf.. no bull is mr. fix-it, use in every scenario... 

vc

Stewart what ever you do start with some good quality cows and work from there. I have often wondered how the Red Angus or Durham Reds, crossed with a Red Simmental would do as a cow base and then breed to some of the bulls that throw color. It takes a real good red steer to compete with the blacks, but I have also seen the real good reds bring better money at a sale, but I think that is more because there are usually only one or two good reds per sale.
What ever you decide to do, stay away from Carrier cows (Clean cows lets you breeed to more ofthe bulls out there), breed smart, watch the birth weights on some of the bulls out there, and good luck.

Jody, does somebody p!$s in your Captain Crunch every day or just once in awhile, maybe he just ran a few commercial cows with a bull in the past, now he is looking to breed some club calves, a completely differnet world.
I really do not know why you have to insult someone right of the bat, instead of offering advice. Just because you can not stand club calves do you always have to be an/a ______?

redsimms

There really are some fantastic red simmental cattle out there too people...

twistedhshowstock

The chance for red is there with many of the breeds, and I agree there are some great red simmentals out there, there are also some great red maines, great red chis, etc etc...but to me I feel like unless he stays with something like Red Angus or Shorthorn, in all the other breeds the geneticsare so intertwined there is not guarantee what color you will end up with unless your breeding to something homo black...so if he wants to guarantee that he gets red I felt Red Angus and Shorthorn were safer bets, if he is willing to take the chance on getting a black calf then he can go pretty much any way he wants.
Also dont let people discourage you man, everyone that is anyone in this industry has to start somewhere...I agree that its EASIER to buy the kids a good, already broke calf each year.  Its also easier to have some big time steer jock raise the calf in his cooler for you and do all the work and just have him meet your kid at the show ring gate with the calf.  But I will let you in on a little secret, the ones who truly gain the most from these projects are those who dont take the easy rout.  I am sure I will get chastised for saying it, but its the truth.

Stewart

Thanks to all, well most.  We had herefords until 2002 so I'm kinda partial to the red color.  To be competitive at the shows I believe we need to start with a different "type" of red.  My kids will all show so I would like to raise our own.  This will be a family project turned into lessons about the cattle industry, daily gain, feed rations, breaking,  etc.  I know it will take time to build a great set of calves that will be ready for the shows, but this is something that will build strength and values in my children. 

With that being said if I run across a great set of females (any color) I will jump all over them.  Thanks again for the input and suggestions with the cattle breeds.  Basically, I am starting over.  This is a, What would you do!

Thanks again

TJR

WHAT! What the heck is going on??? Teaching family values?  Teaching about ADG, buuilding your own feed rations?  Whatever.  Your no fun.

TJR

Sorry, sorry.  Too many pasture sales this past weekend. Best to you and your family

Pipeliner

Hahaha VC....... Your comment killed me hahaha Jody I truely believe that you know cattle, but why jump all over people? Some people aren't as smooth with there words as others but that doesn't mean they don't know.