Getting one fat early

Help Support Steer Planet:

JST

We have a March born steer. We weighed him in on 2-12-11 and he weighed 920. He is bigger framed than what I like. I need to get him fat fast. The ration is listed below. Is there any fat supplement I can add to the ration? What is the maximum percent body weight I can feed without burning him out or burning up his hair. We are located in Nebraska. He also gets grass hay daily. Thanks for any good advice.

CORN- 450
OATS-  250
LIQUID FAT- 10
LIQUID MOLASSES- 45
CSH- 45
GRAND 4-T FYER- 200

Bradenh

try to limit the oats. and get him on goden flo liquid fat. not sure how much with hair and all that since i show slick cattle but i know oats adds frame and goden flo gets em fat

MCC

Looking at your ration you are feeding 1% liquid fat. I'd bump that up to between 2 1/2 to 3 %. I'd also cut back on the oats.

MCC

I don't know what all kinds of feed you can get your hands on but if it were me I would cut out the oats. Add 200 lbs of corn and add 50 lbs of DDG or barley preferably DDG. Bump the fat up to 3%. If you think you need more fiber in the diet then use soy hulls or pelleted corn gluten or wheat mids instead of the DDG or barley. JMHO

chambero

We have our own feed mixed also. 

In all honesty, go buy Purina finisher for this last stage.  It is 5% fat and about as hot as a feed needs to be.  A calf cant use more fat than that.  Use Glu-coat as your only supplement - its a sugar.

If you are serious that's the surest way to go.

JST

I HAVE USED SHOW CHOW IN THE PAST, BUT IT IS NOW 200 DOLLARS A TON HIGHER THAN MY FEEDMILL MIX. SO ON TWO HEAD THATS QUITE A BIT. WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO BUY GLU COAT?

Latest posts