Getting ready for the show

Help Support Steer Planet:

upthecreek

Here are a couple pics of my girls getting the steers ready to go to the fair.  We are way behind as it has been so wet we can't work with the animals but they are coming along now.

Attachments

• IMG00030-20110616-1929.jpg
    IMG00030-20110616-1929.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG00032-20110616-1929.jpg
    IMG00032-20110616-1929.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 238

upthecreek

These steers are both sired by Shadybrook Scotty, the black is out of a commercial angus cow and the tan os out of a charolais/ angus cow.  Both born in April 2010.  They currently weigh between 1000 and 1100 lbs.

OH Breeder

They both look like they have some hair on them. If I were you I would rinse them about everyday you can til the fair rolls around. Put a good rice root and wear the bristols off it. Put some revive in the hair to soften it and help break it. you'll be alright. When's your county?

upthecreek

Thanks OH Breeder, we have finally got them on some dry ground, last week they were up to their bellies in mud.  We are working hard now to have them ready for July 7th.  As you can see the showgirls are pretty little so the main focus is making sure they will not explode no matter what happens around them.  I will try to get some shot of the heifers they will be showing and post them in the next couple days.

vanridge

upthecreek said:
Here are a couple pics of my girls getting the steers ready to go to the fair.  We are way behind as it has been so wet we can't work with the animals but they are coming along now.

WHAT??!!!!  :eek:  YOU are NOT ready for the fair? And you're the HEAD LEADER in the 4-H club!!  (lol) You should lead by EXAMPLE! Your just lucky that the assistant leader (not your wife...the other one) is in the same boat as you! ;)  We got the heifer out of the bull pen and back in the 4-H pen yesterday. She walked with the halter on but she did try take off a few times. We need a lot of work on those two yet too  :-\  Ugh, I just hope it all works out for everyone, and that we don't have a rodeo at the fair...

upthecreek

The last few years I tried to give an example of how to start early and do everything well, this year I will be the example of how not to get cattle ready!!!!

vanridge

I guess we're both leading by the same example!  ;D I figured out how to make my pics smaller so here goes. The top pic is of the 4-H heifer "lucky" My son picked her himself. He likes black. She is definetly not a show heifer, but hey, he's 9, it a good way to learn. The next two are of his steer. Both have the same black angus sire. The heifer is out of a angus cross cow, the steer is out of a sim/herford x angus cow.

Attachments

• cowsjune11 006.jpg
    cowsjune11 006.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 185
  • cowsjune11 007.jpg
    cowsjune11 007.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 177
  • cowsjune11 008.jpg
    cowsjune11 008.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 191

cowchick14

I hope you all do well at fair. I will be showing at county also. Our fair is July  17-23 here. I have been working my steer every day for the past month, so I am hoping he does well. Make sure you post how your kids do at fair. I am only 14, and this is my first time showing at county! I will try to post some pics of my steer at some point. Good luck!

vanridge

A big Congratulations to UptheCreek and his daughter for winning Reserve Grand Champion Heifer at the Fair with their purebred shorthorn Hatfield Butterfly Legend!!!  <party> <party> <party>

Simmgal

vanridge said:
upthecreek said:

WHAT??!!!!  :eek:  YOU are NOT ready for the fair? And you're the HEAD LEADER in the 4-H club!!   (lol) You should lead by EXAMPLE! Your just lucky that the assistant leader (not your wife...the other one) is in the same boat as you! ;)  We got the heifer out of the bull pen and back in the 4-H pen yesterday. She walked with the halter on but she did try take off a few times. We need a lot of work on those two yet too  :-\   Ugh, I just hope it all works out for everyone, and that we don't have a rodeo at the fair...

We are feeling the SAME WAY! I feel that it gets like this every year! HAHA! <party>

vanridge

ok so here are some show pictures from our fair ( the only one we go to) Our 9 year old took a heifer and steer this year. He picked his own heifer and ended up placing last but he didn't seem to mind at all. (This is one of the ones UptheCreek beat!) She is in the first picture. The second one is of his steer Ty. He was 1210 lbs at the fair, and a good 3-4" shorter than most steers there, which I think hurt his placing a bit, but he did very well in the club and placed second. My son is very happy with the results, he worked hard for it. I know what your thinkin'...how can a 9 year old work hard for it, but he's been feeding these two, twice a day since December, before and after school. Only complained once, and it was raining cats and dogs. The third pic is of our 7 year old who has been feeding his calf Luke since February, twice a day. Luke was part of a twin from a first calf heifer and she couldn't handle them both. He got to show him of in the pee wee classes at the Fair and was very popular with the kids. Everybody and their dog came to pet the "cute little calf" Both boys worked hard and really enjoyed themselves at the Fair. All 3 have the same sire, a purebred black angus bull with a moderate frame. Unfortunately he is no longer alive due to an untimely hole in the stomach. The only part that bummed my 9 year old is that the steer and heifer had bonded a little too much and as long as they couldn't see each other they wouldn't behave for him so dad had to give him a hand, and he really wanted to do it on his own.

Attachments

• carman2011web 003.jpg
    carman2011web 003.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 308
  • carman2011web 002.jpg
    carman2011web 002.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 204
  • carman2011web 001.jpg
    carman2011web 001.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 286

Okotoks

vanridge said:
A big Congratulations to UptheCreek and his daughter for winning Reserve Grand Champion Heifer at the Fair with their purebred shorthorn Hatfield Butterfly Legend!!!  <party> <party> <party>
Congratulatons to both Vanridge's and UptheCreek's juniors on a job well done! (thumbsup)

That Hatfield heifer is a double bred Northern Butterfly! Hatfield just purchased another Elite Butterfly 3G son, Northern Xceptional Mark 1X.

Here is the pedigree of Hatfield Butterfly Legend, I'm pretty pleased and I know Norstrom's will be ecstatic!

DIAMOND CAPTAIN MARK 27C X-M463603- 
          CIRCLE M MARK'S LEGEND 9L X-[CAN]M468769-   
                  NORVYK DONNICA KATE 3D X-F662494- 
    NORTHERN LEGEND 3N X-[CAN]M470509-     
                RIVER RIDGE ELITE 38E X-M465234- 
        ELITE BUTTERFLY 3G X-[CAN]F670283-   
                GLORY-JAY ELOQUENTBUTTERFLY 1E X-F665237- 
HATFIELD BUTTERFLY LEGEND 21X       
                RB RED EAGLE Y2K X-[CAN]M469924- 
        DIAMOND PROPHECY 21P X-[CAN]M470882-   
                DIAMOND KALIKA BARONESS 28K X-[CAN]F674011- 
  NORTHERN TERRAIN BUTTERFLY 4T X-[CAN]F685400-     
                HC NEXUS 8N X-[CAN]M470536- 
        NORTHERN REFLECTION BUTTERFLY X-[CAN]F681955-   
                  ELITE BUTTERFLY 3G X-[CAN]F670283- 

upthecreek

Here is a picture of my 8 year old daughter with Hatfeild Butterfly Legend 21X, the reserve cahmpion heifer from the 4-H show in Carman,MB.  She is so proud you'd think she had won Agribition!!!!

Attachments

• Butterfly.jpg
    Butterfly.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 188

upthecreek

Here is my 6 year old with Hatfeild Baroness Legend 5X.  She is a ACC Legend 1U daughter out of a Semiahmoo Regis cow.  She didn't win any ribbons but had a great time and learned a lot.

Attachments

• Baroness.jpg
    Baroness.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 199

vanridge

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping) Your girls did very well, and your 8 year should be proud!!! She sure likes the trophy she won!