getting son involved

Help Support Steer Planet:

coachmac

It looks like (fingers crossed) that my son is finally "into" beef cattle.  We bought a percentage simmie heifer this weekend and it has been nothing but smiles from the "other man" of the house.  Before he has shown Jersey heifers in the bucket calf division (four years) and we all know how easy those little things are to break out.  Even at four he was "handling" the april heifers pretty easily.  Something about the "big" cows that spooked him a little bit.  He has seen me experience a few rodeos around the house with the show cattle and I think it spooked him a little....until now!  This little heifer has been a joy so far, really loves to be messed with, and is small enough that Koby can lead her around, even after two days of halter experience.  Was a little skeptical at first due the brains of percentage animals is sometimes suspect when it comes to showing, but I knew it was cake when he wanted to skip baseball practice to stay home and work cattle.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to shed a tear cuz he wanted to work cows, or that he wanted to skip bball practice!  Seeing as I am the coach, off to practice we went, but I kept getting these looks the whole time from my son about ending practice so he could get home and see his new girl. 

It would be easy to say this Dad is proud to see his two kids involved in showin, athletics, and, more importantly, keeping those grades up.  I am not looking forward to the future speed-bumps in the road, but that is what makes all of this so much fun.  There is no manual or "Raising Farm Kids for Idiots" book.    Basically, you just have to jump in with both feet and hope the water is deep enough!

cpubarn

Have fun together!  Time flys now!  Just enjoy what they want to do.  You will look up in what seems to be a couple years and they are off to college!

coachmac

Yeah, I have found that out.  I teach JH kids and each year there are a few that just ...... have an impact!  It seems like you blink and they are calling you up telling you about their first week in college or, even better, asking you if they can bring the new Baby by to see their future coach!  LOL 

husker1

good stuff....

Last night after chores, heat detection, etc....just before dark, the ball gloves came out.  The oldest is getting pretty adept (at 7)....The little girl tests my patience, but she looks good with her hot pink glove.  The 2 year old, of course, jumps in too....great arm, but just can't catch very well yet!

Sports and cattle....the best of both worlds!

AAOK

I just copied this off the internet.  I'm a Dad with two grown daughters who are married, and now have their own children.  My wife has spent 22 years as a highschool counselor.  We have seen and/or heard it all!  In our world today, it's the rare exception for an unchurched student to graduate highschool without a child, addiction or deviance of some sort.  The following is a great roadmap for parents of any era.

How can Christian parents succeed in training children in the home? What parenting and child-raising authorities should fathers and mothers follow: the Bible or psychologists, social workers, and educators? What purpose and goal should families pursue? How important are love and instruction in the family and parenting? Should fathers and mothers seek to be parental authority figures? How should parents motivate and discipline unruly children? What about spanking, punishment, and rewards? Is it possible for a father and mother to raise godly children despite modern social pressures in entertainment, recreation, and education?

Families in our society present a serious yet interesting contrast.

Generally families have material and social advantages as great as any generation ever had.

Most families have material goods and luxuries unknown to previous generations. Most have greater prospects for a long life. Most have unparalleled opportunities for education, leisure, entertainment, and recreation.

One might think families would be happy and trouble-free.

Yet families today face incredible conflict and hardship.

These include:

* Divorce - As of 1999 marriages were more likely to end by divorce than by death. (James Dobson letter, 11/99)

* Crime - The arrest rate among juveniles nearly tripled from 1965 to 1990. (Bennett, p. 4)

* Government dependence - In 1991 more than one child in eight was raised on government welfare. (Bennett, p. 5)

* Births to unmarried women - In 1990 five times more children were born outside marriage than in 1960. (Bennett, p. 9)

* Single-parent families - 35% of all children now do not live with their biological father. (Dobson letter)

* Suicide - The suicide rate among teens more than tripled from 1960 to 1990. (Bennett, p. 12)

Many families do not have these problems, but the evidence shows that parent-child relationships are facing increasing hardships.

And Christians are by no means immune. In nearly every congregation at least half the young people end up not serving God faithfully.

The subject of raising children deserves careful study.

Why you need to study this subject, regardless of who you are:
* Are you a parent? Surely you know you need to study about raising children.

* Are you a young person, not yet married? Almost certainly someday you will be a parent or will work with children in some capacity (teacher, counselor, etc.).

The time to prepare for an important task is before it begins. If you wait till you face the situation, it may be too late to seek training. Why are you in school now? You are training to prepare for future responsibilities in life. Likewise, you need to study parenthood now before you begin.

* Are you an older person with grown children or no children? You need to teach others God's will, including teaching about parental duties.

Hebrews 5:12 - The time comes when you ought to be teachers. In particular, men may preach sermons or teach Bible classes or private studies.

Titus 2:3 - Older women too must be teachers of good things. Especially they must teach young women their duties as wives and mothers (vv 4,5).

Acts 20:27 - Christians must teach "the whole counsel of God." That includes Bible teaching about parenthood. All of us need to learn this!

So if you have children or ever will have them, and even if you don't have them, as a Christian you need to know God's will. You need this study!

Our purpose is to learn how parents can raise children successfully despite the problems we face.
The foundational belief in these studies is that God's word provides the best way to raise children.

Proverbs 22:6 - Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. By following God's word we can raise children who avoid evil and serve God faithfully.

coachmac

Unfortunately, we used to shudder when we heard about the local girl that was pregnant in HS.  Now it is more common than most care to admit.  What is making me shudder/shake/pray are those little notes I get concerning a JH girl in my class that is now pregnant.  Had one of those earlier this year!   

McTX

Just saw your post and thought you or someone else might be interested in this calf we have. He is a Brahman X Chi-Ma-Simi(Heatwave x SullTank cow) cross. In Texas he would show as a Brahman or ABC. Born in January, 2010. Long story but loss his Mom (had twins), bottle fed for several weeks until we grafted him on to another cow. He is gentle as a dog will come when you call him. What I'm leading to is he would be a great first steer project if he would fit  time wise for your show(s). Call if interested (210)274-6740
McTX