Getting through this stage?

Help Support Steer Planet:

big w

This is kind of the time where our steers seem to fall apart or hold together. From now till may its tough to keep the steers getting better instead they seem to get worse. Does anyone have any adive?

flacowman

Tell us your feeding program and what kind of genetics you're dealing with and maybe we can tell you something specific.  Calves falling apart is really too generic to get much useful help from.  A couple of pictures might help too.  Just some helpful tips  <rock>

big w

Hes on purina fitters edge hes gettig and eating around 30 lbs a day I was told maybe to switch over to finishing touch then back to fitters edgeonce hes about finished.  Hes a carnac.

kattleluver

Sounds like he's eating good. Look into some supplements. Purina power fuel is a high fat supplement that might help. I don't know how the weather is in your area right now... Here its cold and crappy. I've been very happy with how power fuel has worked for me.

AAOK

I just completed a little study on the honorchow website to determine what your calves are receiving.  In my opinion, you would be wise to g r a d u a l l y switch over to the Finsihing Touch, but I wouldn't change back.  If your calves get to finishing too soon, just reduce their intake.  My question is: are you feeding the optional ration containing CTC?  The big advantage here is that CTC will control those low level infections calves get all the time, that you never know about.  Infection sure will mess with gain and condition.

Now, what I really believe to be the cause of your steers falling apart this time of year.  I trust you started early with a daily grooming regiment of rinsing, brushing and blowing.  Most everyone does this in conjunction with feeding.  My guess is that this time of year, because of the cold and inclement weather, your daily routine is not near as routine as it was in the Summer/Fall.  Even when calves are eating the proper percentage of feed, changes to their routine will cause many, not all, to "fall apart".   Everything you do with a show calf should be done the same way, at the same time of day for optimal results.  Just a hunch.

big w

You can't get that option here in the feed the medicated stuff is what I'm guessing your talking about ya no dealer around has it.  WEll I put some pour on on him we feed vitaferm as well is that enough or should I do somehting else.  I blow him out everyday aroound the same time I don't when its snowing but other than that I do so hes on a pretty decnt routine but I could probably improve it.