Glu Coat vs Rice Bran

Help Support Steer Planet:

KSanburg

I did a search here on SP about Glu Coat and found minimal info about the product, so I was wondering what experience folks have had with it and do you feel that Rice bran is a more effective supplement?

Also in one of the posts that I read in the search it talked about to much corn being hard on hair coats. If that is true does anyone have a recommendation or a rule of thumb as to how much is to much? And how does this effect corn content if you are cooking corn?

GoWyo

I feed rice bran in the winter just for the convenience factor.  Rice bran is a fat product and Glucoat is a sugar product.  According to the Glucoat label, it is 34% "moisture" (sounds like water to me) and 66% dry matter, and the nutritional part is 42% sugar.  Hard for me not to think of it as watered down molasses sold for a lot more money.  I buy 5-gallon pails of molasses for $25 and mix some water in it so it is easier to handle and then feed the rice bran too.  Glucoat is convenient, but I can't see paying $90 for 5 gal. plus $25 to ship the thing.

The rice bran product I am feeding right now has something like 22% fat by weight for $34/bag.  The fat cost is about $3/lb. that way.  Vegetable oil weighs about 7.5 lbs per gallon, so if oil is $9/gal., then the cost of that fat product is only $1.20/lb.  Rice bran is convenient and they slick it up, but as soon as it warms up a little I will probably substitute some rice bran for veggie oil.

KSanburg

Have you used the Glu Coat at all? Some of what they talk about on the web site is the fact that a lot of fat products also can raise the protein levels in your feed ration, and I see that when I read the label on the rice bran that I have been using that it actually has  9% protein. I have liked the results of rice bran that I have used, just exploring alternative source's for finishing products. I agree that for the cost that it is not an alternative. I have not had good luck with using veggie oil, maybe I am trying to use it when temperatures are to high.

WBar Farms

I used glu coat last year didn't really like it..... Trying rice bran this year used it for a month can't say it alone has done well but calves averaged 4.3 and 4.7 gains a day so rice bran is part of that, obviously not all of it. My point go with rice bran

GoWyo

I would think that by feeding steers fat, starch and sugar they ought to gain.  Lord knows that if I eat a lot of candy bars or donuts it works for me.  A combination of Glucoat and rice bran along with the grain ought to do the trick for steers and lay down the cover.

Show Dad

I have used GC with a lot of success. I find it works better on market animals than breeding heifers. I do think you can't just throw it in with any old ration. I find they cattle have a better muscle tone and most importantly meat quality and taste.

JMHO
<alien>

GoWyo

SD - what is your secret for success with Glucoat?  Will you share your ration?

Show Dad

Ancient Chinese secret ;D (no I don't top dress with soy sauce)

Corn, Oats, Grand 4T-fier, Cotton seed hulls and top dress in  Beef Designer (Essential Feeds), Glu-Coat, RumaFill (or Essential's Expand-O). In the winter I add some soybean meal to the main ration. Of course I have a good free choice mineral and hay available.

The base ration is simple and works for anything we have on feed. Then we top dress in the other as needed.
<alien>

GoWyo

Thanks SD - pretty much how we do it too -- secret is in the percentages of each ingredient for the critter's stage of development.

KSanburg

SD - In the post I read about Glu Coat someone mentioned that to much corn would work against hair, what is your thoughts about that?

Show Dad

GoWyo said:
Thanks SD - pretty much how we do it too -- secret is in the percentages of each ingredient for the critter's stage of development.

Along with good discipline, you got it.

I do not go over 60% on the corn and I use a higher % on the cotton seed hulls than most.

Show Dad

Mtnman said:
SD - In the post I read about Glu Coat someone mentioned that to much corn would work against hair, what is your thoughts about that?

I'm not sure as I'm not big on the hair thing. But I have not noticed any increase in internal temps of the animals while using GC.