going rate on 30 day lease

Help Support Steer Planet:

chiangus

RCF Farms said:
Have a herd bull a local farmer wants to use for 30 days. just curious what to charge for leasing him for 30 days?

Cant speak for a herd bull, promotional bulls range from $3000 to $5000

chambero

Folks - I know its common, but leasing out bulls is pretty risky from a herd health standpoint.  There is an extreme problem with Trich in the southwestern U.S. that has led to new regulations concerning testing and sale of non-virgin bulls.

My answer on this particular situation is if you know the guy well and he's in a tight spot, I'd be willing to do it to help him out.  But if that were the case I wouldn't even charge for it.  If you have any questions on where his cows come from (has he had them a while or just bought them from the sale barn?), then you couldn't pay me enough to take a chance with infecting my bull.  If you are in the cow business, you should have the resources to have your own bull.

Personally, I have zero interest in leasing bulls or loaning them out for that reason.  You think it's someone else's problem somewhere else, but a two or three ranches in my immediate area have lost whole calf crops because an infected bull was brought in and it got passed around into other herds just by bulls jumping fences.

RCF Farms

Agree, and hear what your saying. I don't plan on charging, this guy helps us on round bailing and other things. Just was curious what people do charge. He's just in a pinch, he has over 100 cows and has 2 or three bulls, but one got injured. Like you say, I wouldn't want him to get something then bring it back to my cows.

Will

chambero said:
Folks - I know its common, but leasing out bulls is pretty risky from a herd health standpoint.  There is an extreme problem with Trich in the southwestern U.S. that has led to new regulations concerning testing and sale of non-virgin bulls.

My answer on this particular situation is if you know the guy well and he's in a tight spot, I'd be willing to do it to help him out.  But if that were the case I wouldn't even charge for it.  If you have any questions on where his cows come from (has he had them a while or just bought them from the sale barn?), then you couldn't pay me enough to take a chance with infecting my bull.  If you are in the cow business, you should have the resources to have your own bull.

Personally, I have zero interest in leasing bulls or loaning them out for that reason.  You think it's someone else's problem somewhere else, but a two or three ranches in my immediate area have lost whole calf crops because an infected bull was brought in and it got passed around into other herds just by bulls jumping fences.

I agree with not wanting to lease bulls.  The trich deal could break me in a hurry.  I know of a herd that had to replace all of thier bulls and missed a calving season.  They should have calved last fall and did not get any calves till this spring.  If the market crashes between now and fall they could completely miss these record prices.  Trich can infect an entire herd in a hurry.  He does not know how he got it. Assumes a bull came to his place and then a nieghbor moved it back without ever telling him.