Gold colored calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

kkomma

How do they color up bulls like Texas Twister and Gold Rush? We have a lot of Yellow and white and they don't have that more orange look that I've seen in those bulls. Do they spray them with a light coat of red? Thanks

twistedhshowstock

I am not sure what your talking about by coloring them up?  Its genetics, Charolais dont carry a true white gene, they carry a diluter gene.  The diluter gene is codominant, so it will dilute whatever color gene is present.  Thus you get smokey or grey when you cross a Char and an Angus.  The diluter gene dilutes the black color to that grey color.  A lot of it depends on what color genes are present and how much the diluter gene actually dilutes the color.  But yes you are correct, the orange colored calves ussually have a red gene that is being diluted.

kkomma

As far as color them up, I mean if you see pictures of them as calves and then those same animals as bulls in person, there is a distinct difference in color. The "orange color" very rarely is a true color. The diluter gene your talking about applies to charlois and simmentals but maybe a really dark red such as red hot will do it. So the original question stands, do they color these bulls with a light coat of red or another method?

twistedhshowstock

I dont think they are coloring those bulls much when fitting.  A lot of it is as was already stated, regardless if colored or not, or what natural color, vibrance and tone of color is much different in one that is freshly washed and clipped on and fit, versus one that is just standing there.  Plus when you see the pictures, often times its the lighting, plus the fact that they often photo shop the background into the picture, so that changes the appearance of the natural color as well.  And a lot of times when we see these bulls in person, unless your lucky enough to be in Denver or there on picture day, then they are just in their working clothes.

savaged

Do you mean more like this color?  This is the result of Monopoly Money X Dream On pure bred.  He is a really pretty color.

Attachments

• Monopoly Money @ One Week 2 (resized).jpg
    Monopoly Money @ One Week 2 (resized).jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 366

JSchroeder

The diluter gene your talking about applies to charlois and simmentals but maybe a really dark red such as red hot will do it.

Simmental and Charolais cattle have two different types of diluter genes.

frostback

To get orange calves you need a Charolais influencec cow that is a smoke or orange herself or a purebred charolais and a red gene form the other side.
The smoke in the front is a Mono II out of a Alias cow, coloured like her. The middle is a Troubador out of a red roan shorthorn cow. The last is a Mono II out of a smoke cow.
There was no editing or fitting in this photo.

Attachments

• DSC00685.JPG
    DSC00685.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 494

tcf

Color is the hardest thing to predict in the club calf industry and becoming more popular every day. There are different diluter genes in many different types of cattle, some occur naturally while others are genetic abnormalities. With club bulls they have been outcrossed and bred back so many different ways you can not guarantee color and IMO that is one of the exciting parts come calving time. I don't mind some differnet color and chrome and a good calf is a good calf no matter the color. I am partial to buckskin and yellows and we breed a lot of cows to produce those, we also run red factor char bulls on our black cows and get smokes and black calves that do great at the sale barn and the few we keep back sell like crazy for show calves.