Grand at houston, how did he compare to past champs

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bradenh

i heard they had security around the grand champion steer at all times, i know the reserve was a BEAST from seeing him at shows but i never laid eyes on the grand my self, but heard he could have been the best one to walk through a tx major. any truth? was  he that good of a calf. better than 08? and do yall think we will be seeing a clone of him in 2 years at denver or something in the bull yards

doublestuff

Awsome calf! way better than 08!! Probably the best one Ive seen win houston. Champion at san antone this year probably best slick one ive ever seen period. Just my opinion.

fed_champions

I didnt get to see either in person, i do know people who did, they say no comparison to newmans 05 steer from Houston, i don't know if there will ever be another one that good

olsun

I'm just an old Iowa farm boy who hasn't been paying attention. So what was the Houston Champion steer? Can someone tell me about him?

rackranch

I agree with DS, the San Antonio champ was the best slick steer I've ever seen as well.  To me he had a lot more style and eye appeal than the Houston champ.  The SA champ was a full brother to the '08 Houston champ...Them North Texas boys are gonna keep'em coming and you can bet the barn on that..

chambero

I'm tied about 100 ft from him this week with heifers.  Unless he's just gone downhill since Fri from being on public display, he aint even in the hunt for best ever.  Both grand and reserve last year looked better on display.  FWIW - I thought the grand in 09 was prettty stout.

Telos

Only saw photos of the past Grands but I really like this 2011 Houston Champ from the photo. He doesn't look as tight-wound as the recent past champions except maybe for last years, but appears to still be very high cutting and easy feeding. i like this direction many of the judges are going. It's still some give and take but judges are starting to think more of the producer as apposed to the packer which they should have been doing all along. It's more about quality and not quantity. JMO.

HF CHARS

Talking with people that were at the show, the general idea I got was that the steer quality was as high through the whole show as it ever has been.  I aggree partly with the judges using softer made cattle, but its not like they are going against the packer.  Better doing cattle usually marble better, thats good for the packer.  One thing I have noticed is that we are finally picking sound steers again.  That makes me happy. 

Judging by the pics of the champ, and from what I have been told, He is ONE GOOD RIP

JSchroeder

I only watched the american breeds but smooth seemed to be the theme running through all of his picks.

The few people I spoke with said he wasn't stressing depth to the point that they were calling them a bit tubular.  I didn't see any of the exotic/british classes at all so I couldn't really comment one way or the other.

chambero

This judge wasnt near as picky on ability to walk smoothly as the past several majors in my opinion.

JSchroeder

Shaake in San Antonio wasn't big on movement either.

That being said, if you didn't get pulled while on the initial walk in at Houston you had a hard hill to climb to make the sale.

Steer4Caddy

I don't think Shaake or Thomas did a great job sorting cattle this year.  Thomas was pretty confused.  Shaake just did what he always does.  Not bad just his opinion.  They all need to look at what Randy Daniels and Jack Ward will do in a steer show.  This cattle don't need to be FREAKS.  They have to be more structurally sound than what they used this year.  Over half the calves in any given class have enough muscle.  Being able to breed one that is designed correctly with enough muscle is hard but that's what they need to use.  It's relatively easy to  buy the freaks as babies, if you have the money or are willing to kill some cows raising them.  It's hard to raise the other "Complete" kind.  One way is art, the other is a money whip.

DCC show cattle

you might want to look through daniels champs from last year before you start using him as a standard place to start on structurely correct cattle. Not just talking his grand and reserve those calves were sound but look through all his champions from houston and this years set of champs at houston were good and loved the silver and white calf all year long while he was on the road but neither was in the top 5 slick steers for me. Newman by far has the top 2! The houston champ in 05 and san antonio champ in 11. I'm proud to say we sold the champ chi that stood in line with that yellow steer at san antonio this year and also proud to have had the reserve aob behind the overall champ of bartons at houston 2009 mentioned earlier.

Telos

The fact of the matter...Structurally, there's just abunch of poorly designed cattle.  Should have left mother mature do the selecting. Humans are not really the best for selecting this trait.

I thought his Houston Grand steer was well represented and close to ideal.

JS. I just feel these cow calf operators/producers should have a say in this deal and I'm a little fed up with what the packers dictate as to what they want and need to be slaughtering. Producers need to produce what they can afford to produce. The Packer has no choice but to process what is given to them. They still make a handsome profit.

It does not make much sense that a judge will go out and select a calf that only a very a small club calf producer can manage to breed even though this is what the packer loves. There is just too many variables involved in processing these cattle all the way to the counter, and every segment needs to be considered. I am personally biased towards the producer and consumer though. JMO.

Aussie

rtmcc said:
Don't you think the packer wants what the consumer offers demand for?

Ron
<cowboy>
I'm with you Ron. Telos I think you are forgetting the packer is the middle man. Unfortunately the cow/calf guy is always on the receiving end but it is no good sticking your head in the sand saying I like this breed, type, size etc if the consumer(packer) does not want it. As for selecting steers packers want that's what we do over here all steer shows are terminal and the most prestige is from how they hang. Just my 5 cents

JSchroeder

In the context of the show ring, cow/calf guys do have a say, it's called breeding stock and it wasn't what was being judged that day.

Telos

Well, maybe we eliminate a step and go in the coolers and judge the carcass. Then see who wins. All the other expense just seems to be counter productive.

Really, this whole show steer thing needs to be about balance, quality and trying to take in consideration all the segments.

I love Show Steer Shows more then the NFL or College Football. I just hope it stays interesting and keeps us on our toes. It make for good discussion.

I  still think the Houston steer looked right for the part and can't wait for a Smilin Bob son to win it in the coming years. I think he might be the next great one.

JSchroeder

This is beating a dead horse but the idea that there is no such thing as a terminal cross and that terminal calves should 'fill all segments' takes you further away from the real world than anything people accuse clubby cattle of doing.