Grandmaster question ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ALTSIMMY 79

What type of cows does ebonys grandmaster work on ? I have all pb simmys , but of different genetics. Mainly looking for good replacements out of the deal ???

coachmac

numbers just fell considerably on the updated EPD chart by ASA.  Calves are Ok, but curious if numbers will continue to fall. 

3dfarms

The calves I have seen out of Grandmaster have been very nice.  I saw some sell in Hill Country's sale back in the Spring and some sell in the Field of Dreams sale this Fall.  They all looked great and sold well also. 

Even though his numbers did come down in the last ASA Sire Summary I think he is still a solid choice, but agree that it will be very interesting to see what his numbers do Spring 2011.

coachmac

The one thing I was thinking about, the people that bred to him for the EPD's, have a good looking animal but the numbers changed for the worse.  Can that impact value of the animal?  Wouldnt some of the sons take a hit on numbers as well?  Hopefully they level off where they are and don't drop further.     

3dfarms

Good point.  His numbers were high enough that they aren't bad now, but his progeny that had low numbers on their dams side and were bred to him for numbers will probably take a hit.

LostFarmer

Saw a set of good GM heifers.  Will they make good cows?...Only time will tell. 

This tread is a reminder that epd's best use is as hygiene paper in an outhouse.  Have we gotten so wrapped up in the numbers we can't see the cows?  If you like the look and the cattle are working then to hell with the epd's.  JMHO.  LF

ALTSIMMY 79

Now that's funny lost farmer ! I agree to a certain extent , the numbers aren't everything , the bull himself still looks like the right kind to me.

simmangus45

I can't say one way or another as I have not personally seen very many calves yet.  But I just want to remind people that just because his numbers softened a bit does not make things bad.  Remember, bigger is not always better!  If you are keeping replacement heifers they don't need to be the highest growth cattle or the highest carcass cattle.  They need to be moderate, soft, easy keepking cattle that are functional and can thrive in some harsher environments.  Don't get caught up in the numbers race!  A ranch can't  survive for very long pouring feed to their cows.  The cow has to support the ranch, not the ranch supporting the cow!

TYD

I was planning on using him on a heifer I have not seen the numbers yet but are his bw numbers up enough the he wouldn't be calving ease or has anyone had any problems with this

firesweepranch