Graphite Shavings used in the fitting process

Help Support Steer Planet:

MillwoodFarms

when i was at the state show in february there was some talk about people using graphite shavings during their fitting process supposedly they used it on the Alabama State Grand Champion Steer just wana see if anyone has ever heard of this before and how it would be used, not trying to get anybody's secret but just wana know a little more about its use.

cowman 52

Every so often something makes a comeback-- Graphite,  concrete dyes, any thing black and powderey has been used--  applied with grandads old hand cranked garden duster you can build a great set of legs.  The concrete dye is not to user friendly to inhale as is none of the junk.  It covered a mink stole on a ladies backside in Houston 30 years ago --Talk about raising a stink- 

Jill

I have only seen it used once by an incredible fitter and it was remarkable, has probably been 10 years ago.

The Driver

I've seen it used by a couple of guys that fit for Caldwell. Builds an awsome set of legs. no tailhead adhesive then white paint then more adhesive then more paint. Really thick looking legs. Not sure how easy or user friendly it is to use but the end product is awsome. But as with twining is its legal and you want to compete. you make your own choice still not a replacement for hard work.

okshowmom

We used it back in the 80's fogged it on and then fogged on some funky wet mixture. There was not anyone with a hundered yards that was not black. Was the biggest mess we ever made. It sure made the cattle black though. I would stick with sullivan's dye no a days. PS all clothes worn at the show was ruined!! (cow)