grass finished or corn

Help Support Steer Planet:

trevorgreycattleco

simtal said:
grass fed beef will not meet the worlds food demand.

end of story, "You know, this grass fed beef wasnt too bad, course since we have no food to eat anything sounds pretty good"

This is like ford coming out and saying, "lets make the model T again"

"I dont use corn to finish my cattle"- Great, nobody cares.  While your at it, lets put hogs back on pasture too since hogs didnt eat corn 1000 years  ago either...

why must all things "industrial" be inherently evil. 

Never said industrial was evil, just seems silly to me. Hogs are now on more antibiotics in their feed than i can ever remember in the confinement deal. I'm know of a few people who still run them outside. They are doing fine.
You stick to your sure fire no mistake ways amd I will stick to mine.

trevorgreycattleco

300.00 dollars in bought inputs, and 13 month old avg 1,400 a steer , they pay processing. What am I missing in this taking to much time and to much input?

Simtal, I don't use want to use corn and my customers are excited. Thats enough for me. I'm not saying feeding corn is the worst, just simply saying their are different ways to go about things. Cattle fed grain standing around in a feedlot put on to much fat IMO. I like eating meat not fat.

Hey if it's working for you, don't fix it I guess. Not trying to convince anybody, just talk about it.

red roan

13 months =395 days. Ok steers average 1400 pounds.. divided by  395 days = 3.544 pretty good adg. for grass fed !!  (clapping) <party> 

knabe

red roan said:
13 months =395 days. Ok steers average 1400 pounds.. divided by  395 days = 3.544 pretty good adg. for grass fed !!  (clapping) <party> 

so how come you didn't subtract bw.  you adg would be a little lower, 3.29 if bw was 100lbs.

i like the gain outside of the cow.

trevorgreycattleco

Chambero is right. I got $1,400.00 per head on avg this year. The cattle avg 1150 lbs at 13 months. Not great but still acceptable for me. They all dressed over 60% so the customers got plenty of meat and are all happy. I'm sure the grass here in Ohio has alot to do with it to, but the genetics and the crossbreeding two English breeds has produced a awesome carcass on little input. I like that.

aj

Great discussion. I do forsee cheap corn in the future.Inputs etc keep going up. Protein up. Corn stays cheap.

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:
Chambero is right. I got $1,400.00 per head on avg this year. The cattle avg 1150 lbs at 13 months.

That's  pretty good money as long as it didn't cost you $1,350 to make it.