Grizzly Calving Reports

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap

haven't had any myself but have heard some horror stories.  there is another thread on here that discusses it.  I don't buy him as calving ease.  neither his look or pedigree indicate it.  I would say that the calves i have seen cettainly look good enough, just not "easy" calving.

Hollywood27

Chap said:
haven't had any myself but have heard some horror stories.  there is another thread on here that discusses it.  I don't buy him as calving ease.  neither his look or pedigree indicate it.  I would say that the calves i have seen cettainly look good enough, just not "easy" calving.
Is Hotmail on the Dam's side a Heat Seeker son?

jbh

olsun said:
Hotmail is a son of Mailman, I believe.

Heat Seeker x Mailman raised by Jay Solsma in northern Iowa......could do some nice things.....would never consider HIM calving ease though........  I don't think he was a tremendously hard calver, but NOT easy enough for heifers.

jackpotcattle

nick reimann told me he was using him on 2nd calvers but I went ahead and bred 3 hfrs too him. one a naughty pine/simmi, one an outlaw/draftpick/meyer, and one purebred simmi. all three calved before the due date by 4 days or better and lightest one was 79 heaviest 83. all hfr calves sweet fronts good hips.

watfarm

Lost heifer and calf.  Calf was 95 lb. and 10 days early.  Bad information promoting him as a calving ease bull.

KCC73

sunseeker said:
Would like some feedback on bw's on those who have had Grizzly calves out of first calf heifers this year.  ???

We have had good luck with him on our heifers.  We have had 7 calves smallest was 60 biggest was 82.  I had to help two and others were born unassisted.  The two that I helped were my smallest and youngest heifers and the calves were made nice for calving just not alot of maternal calving ease on the heifers.  All calved at 278-281 days with exception of one that came two weeks early.  I will also say that ours are very closely monitored at calving.  I would use again with management.

CM

Had one out of a smaller type Nutt N Butt Business heifer her calf was 50lb heifer calf unassisted

Dyer Show cattle

I AId 15 heifers for someone and they wont be using again. All were big calves and I think only one came unassisted. Most problems they have had in years of calving heifers. All of these heifers are 1000 lbs plus and never had any issues with pelvic size. Also calves have been ok but getting just as good of calves out of heard bulls. I stayed with Hooks Shear force 38K and glad I did. I have not had to pull a calf yet, but the season is not over either.

Rosemount6

I was thinking about using him on a small sunseeker heifer of mine to get some more simmi maternal genes in her.  But after hearing a lot of mixed reviews about birth weights, I don't think I'm going to risk using him.  There are plenty other proven calving ease bulls out there to use. 

KCC73

KCC73 said:
sunseeker said:
Would like some feedback on bw's on those who have had Grizzly calves out of first calf heifers this year.  ???

We have had good luck with him on our heifers.  We have had 7 calves smallest was 60 biggest was 82.  I had to help two and others were born unassisted.  The two that I helped were my smallest and youngest heifers and the calves were made nice for calving just not alot of maternal calving ease on the heifers.  All calved at 278-281 days with exception of one that came two weeks early.  I will also say that ours are very closely monitored at calving.  I would use again with management.

We are still getting along good with him.  Had another one yesterday 70 lbs unassisted at 279 days.  Also saw fit to have a perfect blaze face.  I am not suggesting going out and breeding all your heifers to him, but ours have not been big, are neat headed and smooth shouldered.  We have also gotten white on the faces of all but one calf.  I will use him again on heifers that I am calving for myself.

Dyer Show cattle

Rosemount6 said:
I was thinking about using him on a small sunseeker heifer of mine to get some more simmi maternal genes in her.  But after hearing a lot of mixed reviews about birth weights, I don't think I'm going to risk using him.  There are plenty other proven calving ease bulls out there to use. 

I know that 95% of the sunseekers I have raised have been big calves 100-125 lbs so breeding a sunseeker I would stick with a purebred proven calving ease sire. I have 2 sunseeker heifers bred to Hooks shear force 38K that should calve by the end of the week. Have 2 shear force calves on the ground right now unassisted. One out of a Ali heifer and one out of a who heifer. All the heifers I have raised and I know the Ali and Who were low bw them selves and the 2 sunseekers were both 90-110 lb bw so I am interested how much the sunseeker will add to the bw.

CAB

Had our first Grizzly calf last night. The heifer is a Habiger Tx Hold'em out of a Reload Xbred cow full faced baldy with 2 white socks. The calf was 9 days early, had to pull it, solid black with just a touch of white around her navel. Not weighed, just guessing 70/75 lbs. Fairly thick. The heifer is a May heifer, so one of the younger ones here. Easy pull, but would not have had her. I only have 1 more bred to Grizzly, but did breed a couple for a neighbor to him. Both his and my heifers would classify as clubby bred so there can be some BW issues on the bottom side.

KYsteer

I purchased a Duff New Edition heifer that was bred to him that calved out this month.  It was a 55lb heifer calf with a white spot on her head.  Just one so not a good enough sample, but it is an example of what he can do.

Dyer Show cattle

Rosemount6 said:

Pulled my shear force bull out of my thicker sunseeker heifer at 3am today. The dam to this heifer is prob 75 % simm.  First shear force calf I have pulled and he is a proven calving ease so I would deff not breed to grizzly. Calf was and easy pull but I don't think she could have passed the head without the help. Still prob 90 lbs. So I would say sunseeker added alot to the bw, will let you know when my other sunseeker that is out of a 90% angus cow calves.