Grow & Shine vs. Shag

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

I have always heard not to feed "grow N shine" to heifers.  Don't know if its true, but have been told by quite a few not to.
If I recall Kirk said Shag worked on heifers.

dcattle

alright ya i would just use it on steers. And would feeding just melatonin do the same and as good of a job?

BCCC

grow and shine has far more amounts of melatonin in it than the pills. I have never seen the pills do anything more than calm a calf.

segersmom

Somewhere, I think it was on this forum, I read that heifers shouldn't be fed Shag if you were going to try to breed them.  If I run across that thread again, I will let you know which one it was.

beef101

My family and I have used Grow and Shine for the past three years all three years our calves have had 4 or more inches of hair. We squirt it in there mouths every morning and we wash our calves 3 times daily and they each have 2 fans on them for 15 hours a day i would recommended Grow and Shine to anyone over shag and the plus to Grow and Shine is it has a calmer in it that works really well.

chambero

Grow and shine is just melatonin, Shag has melatonin plus other stuff.  Both are just fine for heifers - for certain.  You can find journal articles where melatonin is used to improve reproduction in other animals.

segersmom

Thanks for the info.  I wonder if I hallucinated seeing that post...  Anything is possible, LOL.

stangs13

Be VERY careful with Shag on heifers...heard lots of stories from reputable people about it. We also fed it to a heifer, and with our luck she never bred( to many factors that could play into that though)..I would wait till shes safely bred!

Show Heifer

I have been told many times not to feed Grow and Shine to heifers. Might be one of those things where "in theory" and "reality" are not agreeing.

My personal opinion: Too many people are saying many of these supplements are not good for heifers. I would prefer my heifers to breed and become a cow, instead of having 4 inches of hair and have a purple ribbon in the bottom of some drawer somewhere (or bottom of the show box for the next year).

BCCC

not sure on either of the two, but I know Epic is safe for heifers. Have feed it to 6 heifers and all were either bred during the time on epic or shortley after.