gut on a steer???

Help Support Steer Planet:

showmom37

OK I have a question.  Our son is showing an American steer in a slick show in April.  To me (and since we have never had a show steer I don't really know what I should be looking for), he looks like he has a huge gut.  Just a big ole fat gut.  Are there any websites or pics that anyone knows of that has a picture of what an American class steer - in a slick show- should look like. And what are the main things that the judge is going to look at in the show ring?  And.......don't laugh at my questions purty please...just help a girl out if ya could...many thanks from someone who has no clue  ;D

CarleyE

Go to showsteers.com. They have american breeders on there. Also you may try to google america bred steers and look in images. Hope that helps!

showmom37

Well I'll be...out of 85 views of this post...er..well 81 since 3 of them were me, including this reply.....only one kind soul has bothered to reply with at least some kind of help.  Now I know there are some extremely intelligent and savvy cattle people on this site...that's exactly why someone like me who knows little to nothin comes here.  It's a sad cryin shame that not a one of ya will so much as offer even the tiniest bit of input on my post.  I was just askin about guts on an American Bred show steer for goodness sakes...didn't think that was to hard a question. 

bart

This was A Champion American. Raised by Purple Pride
This calf showed at 1360. They have a 5% weigh back.
Not real sure how to answer your questions not looking at the calf? A pic of him would be great.

Attachments

• braden american.jpg
    braden american.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 194

GoWyo

Only been 2 hours.  Let people have a chance to get home from work and log on.  Maybe a photo would help so we can see whether his gut is out of proportion to the rest of him.

SlickTxMaine

Showmom, pictures are really needed.  I think people are hesitant to give advice when they don't have a clue what your calf looks like.  He may be an awesome calf, and not much change is needed, or he may need a complete over-haul.  Post some pics, and I'm sure you will get some help.  Oh, and welcome aboard!!

showmom37

I have tried two times now to reply with a picture...grrrrrrrrrr :mad:...I will try again...I clicked on reply then typed then clicked on additional options then attached 2 pics and it came back with errors as if I was starting a new topic????  Well I guess I should add "knows little to nothin bout how to post pics on Steer Planet" to my list... (lol)

showmom37

I'm gonna try this picture thing one more time  ???

Attachments

• P1000154.JPG
    P1000154.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 186

JSchroeder

He doesn't have too much gut and for some judges his current amount of depth would actually be a positive.

What's going to hurt him in a ring will be his front end.

showmom37

Could you please elaborate on the front end and what's wrong with it?  I appreciate your input.

JSchroeder

I'm terrible at describing it but the terminology is he's a bit wastey fronted.  When comparing him to a steer such as the black steer above, notice how much further his brisket sticks out in front of his shoulders.

I don't mean it in a hurtful manner, you'll hear it from the judge eventually.

showmom37

I don't think you are being hurtful at all...just giving very honest feedback...I expect nothing less so thank you.  Now about what you described...I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about but I showed my husband and his question was does it have anything to do with the fact that our steer has a lot more leather and is there anything that can be done to fix it or is it one of those things that you can't fix.  Again many thanks friend for your feedback.

Bradenh

he is a little short necked. thats me in the pic of the black steer showing him actually, barts my dad. and he is a pratical type of steer with alot of depth, he can use some flank (full hay) and mabey a sweat collar? but not alot you can do with that neck. every calf has the flaws though but he is very complete but on that gut. its adequate but if you feel he needs more. id say add winning fill and full tank to his feed

showmom37

Show Stopper...very nice steer and great pic! Thank you kindly for your reply and we have had others tell us about the neck as well.  I feel better now about the "gut" thing...I'm a girl and I know nothing about cattle so I just thought he looked really fat...but apparently that's a good thing...lol!  Well, this is our first year and my son shows him at our county fair in April so I guess we will keep truckin along and see how we do.  Oh...you mentioned a sweat collar...what is the purpose for such if you don't mind me askin!  Thanks again!

Bradenh

it will sweat off any 'trash' or excess skin in that neck and make it look tighter, its a daily process that you can get form sullivans, but i wish i could get this one steer of mine that fat lol you cant really be too fat for a slick show until it starts sagging on the neck and all of that, but you rarely get one thats too fat. good luck with him in the future

SlickTxMaine

Showmom.....I too think he looks good.  His gut is definitely not too big.  Keep feeding him to fill him out.  The sweat collar will definitley clean him up a little, but with an american, you will not be able to get rid of all that....just comes with the breed.  You can do a search on here for sweat collars if you are not familiar with them.  We have used them with success.  Good luck and let us know how he does.

gobigorgohome

I agree with the gut he is just fine and you have done a good job what i see wrong with him is the same thing everyone else sees i think a sweat collar would help some but his front end (meaning his sholder area) is a little heavy do you see how much bigger he is on his sholder than his hip and there is nothing you can do there he is just hard made. in the picture i see your son has his front feet a little too far stretched forward i would set him back some and i think it will help with making his sholders so massive. im not trying to come off as rude i just dont want you to be puzzled when a judge throws "show" terms at you. nice calf

Bradenh

gobigorgohome said:
I agree with the gut he is just fine and you have done a good job what i see wrong with him is the same thing everyone else sees i think a sweat collar would help some but his front end (meaning his sholder area) is a little heavy do you see how much bigger he is on his sholder than his hip and there is nothing you can do there he is just hard made. in the picture i see your son has his front feet a little too far stretched forward i would set him back some and i think it will help with making his sholders so massive. im not trying to come off as rude i just dont want you to be puzzled when a judge throws "show" terms at you. nice calf

the biggest problem. calf or kid that you have is the hat on in the ring, if you change anything, change that first