Habanero vs. Irish Whiskey Your opinion

Help Support Steer Planet:

cotullaguy

Which one of these works best for producing steer momas as well as producing steers as well.  I have a meyer/angus cow I am thinking of flushing for females but want to be able to sell the steers as well.  What do you think?

Woody

I have a Whiskey/angus son I use to clean up with.  The steers out of him arent the greatest but they are respectable.  However the females out of him are down right awesome.

HGC

I've never used IW so I can only answer to Habanero, and I don't think that you would be disappointed.  We have 8 direct Habanero daughters and many granddaughters and they consistently raise some of our best calves.

Habanero has sired the champion steer at Houston twice plus many other major champions, his females have one at junior nationals, Louisville, Denver, and he has several very successful AI sons.  Plus look through your AI catalog and see how many bulls are out of Habanero cows.  They produce.

I've never seen a IW steer better than a county fair quality steer.  I have seen some very good females out of him, but how many of them are carriers.  The reason I have never used IW is  1. He's a carrier and 2. He's an Ice Pick son and they don't milk, and the best milking IW's I have seen have been out of good milking Angus cows.

My vote is Habanero.

herefordfootball

I havent used or raised either one, but have gone to a sale here in Indiana that always has a  habanero steer out of a pretty decent club cow, and the steer is always above impressive, MASSIVE thickness, just really masculine made, the sale has this same bred steer every year. I've seen some habaneros make good mommas, steer mommas in particular, they arent showy heifers, but definitely steer makers. If you're looking for a steer maker, or steer itself, I'd go with habanero. JMO and what I've seen at breeders and sales.

oakbar

I really like Habanero and several his sons--I think they've been a key factor in the popularity of the Maines in the last few years.  He also puts out some very good daughters that produce very well.  JMHO

cotullaguy

Looks like we have a winner and it is Habanero over Irish Whiskey.

So, then, does Who do a better job than Habanero on producing females and steers? 

TMJ Show Cattle

If I had to choose between the two,I woukd use Habenero.If you have enough females I would use both.Keep the heifers and breed them to WMW.You might get some decent steers from Habenero,and you might get a decent bull by either one.

vet tech

You could use Habanero's maternal brother, Larry the Cable Guy. He is a Heat Wave

DLD

Generally speaking Habanero will sire more bone, muscle and hair than IW. The Habanero's can also be bigger framed, harder made and sometimes have poorer quality hair. Again generally speaking, Irish Whiskey will sire more volume and rib shape in a softer package. The Whiskey's will be smaller framed, and he won't add much bone or muscle.  Both sires can pass on some structural issues, but it shouldn't be a problem out of a sound 734 daughter.  I've seen both of these matings work really well, it just depends on what you're trying to achieve.

cotullaguy

from this info, it appears habanero will give more bone and mass, thus making better steers if you get bulls out of the deal?  thus, a more successful flush in dollars? 

cotullaguy

BCCC said:
Irish Whiskey. All of my Irish whiskeys are great steer mammas.

but what about the bull calves?  are they throw aways?  are can they be sold as steers?