Hair growth and grooming

Help Support Steer Planet:

Corriedalesrock

When we bought rice root brushes they had one with really really hard bristles and one with softer ones... she said the one with the softer bristles would work better.

DLD

More than anything else, soaking them makes them a little less brittle so they last longer.  Where you posted the links to the Sullivans brushes earlier in this thread was the first I'd ever heard of any being pre-soaked.  We still use pure rice roots, but I'm sure the synthetic blend would be alright.  There used to be a saying that you knew you were doing it right if you wore out a new rice root on every calf you showed.  I've never dedicated one brush to one calf, so I can't say for sure I've done that, but we do go through them pretty steady.

DLD

If you're trying to save what hair you have left and get the dead hair out (kinda like we are now, with OYE starting next week) use a comb.  I prefer a plastic fluffer.  Scrub brushes work too.  Using a rice root to try and stimulate hair growth is prob'ly not doing much good this time of year.  If you're ready to clean it all out and start over, use a shedding comb or a grill brick.

ladymay123

Hi I have a steer we are trying to get more hair on. We can't afford to buy a cooler. I made a pen in a dark coner of the barn and have a fan on him at all times. At night I let him out and put him backin at 6 a.m I feed Umbarger(which they said helps haid growth) Wash him every day and shampoo him 3 days a week with mane and tail. His upper body hair is ok but he lost his leg hair fro winter. Is there any tricks I can do to bring that leg hair back.

ChristaCheatham

Trying to grow some hair on my steer this year and we got a cooler. What I have been told is to rinse twice a day and blow them out and put conditioner in. I wouldn't wash 3 times a week unless you're using conditioner not soap. Shampoo will dry the hair out. For leg hair I need more as well. I'm using a roto brush. I spray revive on the legs and use the roto synthetic brush. How long are you supposed to roto brush each leg and how many times a day to get the really long leg hair?