Hair Problems

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthorn boy

I have a heifer that every time I brush a comber her she gets this layer of hair that has fallen out that is sitting on top of her hair coat and some times it is real easy to pull her hair out. I was wonder if this is a normal thing for cattle to go through shedding stages during the summer or if it is something else. She gets brushed, combed and blown out all the time and is kept under two but fans. I am also rinsing her twice a day and I try to only use soap about three times a week but it all depends on how dirty she gets over night and I am using main and tail conditioner on her too. I am using a 50/50 mix of Kleen Sheen and vinegar on her twice a day also. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could be doing different or if I am pretty much doing every thing right. Another question what kinds of hair spray and conditioners are you using to help with the hair growing process. My next show isn't until the Illinois State Fair which is about a month from now I would like to get her to grow out just a little bit more hair and was wondering if it is possible to get her to grow a little bit more hair by then?

shortyjock89

Yep, just keep doing what you're doing, the faster you get that dead hair out, the faster new hair will come.  You have enough time to have some good hair on her by State. What time do you get her in, and what time do you turn out?

shorthorn boy

I usually get her in at about 6 am and I usually get her out around 8-8:30 pm. I like to wait till it gets dark to let her out.

shortyjock89

shorthorn boy said:
I usually get her in at about 6 am and I usually get her out around 8-8:30 pm. I like to wait till it gets dark to let her out.

That sounds about like what we do. Have you tried feeding her Melatonin or Epic?  It can make the hair come in thicker in a month, and it should help get some length back. What county are you from?

shorthorn boy

Actually I have fed Melatonin but just a couple days before a show and at the show to calm her down I was giving her about 30 pills and just throwing it on top of her feed she seemed to eat it just fine. Im from Christian County I actually live like 18 miles straight north of Taylorville if you know where that is. Thankfully it hasn't been really hot here so it makes it alot easier to grow some hair. So do i just feed her the Melatonin pills, if so does 30 sound about right?

shortyjock89

Yeah, I think 30 would be fine, you can give them in a bolus, or we used to crunch them up and mix it in their feed.

shorthorn boy

OK I think I will just keep giving her the Melatonin and see how that works and all a really had to do with my heifer is place the pills on top of her feed in a little pile and she would actually eat them first, then eat the rest of the feed.

CJC

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Yeah, I think 30 would be fine, you can give them in a bolus, or we used to crunch them up and mix it in their feed.
Justin
Where do you get the bolus or how many pills would you give a 1100# heifer?

shortyjock89

We just filled one of those clear bolus capsules that you put together yourself with pills and gave it to the calf once a day.  I think we started out by giving my heifer 20 pills a day, she was probably around 1000 lbs when we started, and I think we were up to around 30 a day when we were done.

CJC

We just filled one of those clear bolus capsules that you put together yourself with pills and gave it to the calf once a day.  I think we started out by giving my heifer 20 pills a day, she was probably around 1000 lbs when we started, and I think we were up to around 30 a day when we were done.
Clear bolus capsules where do you get them?

shortyjock89

Great, now you ask a very legit question, and I can't even remember!  I'll ask dad where we got them, we haven't used them since..... You could always just kind of "make" a bolus by packing a bolus gun with the pills and a little bit of hay.

TJ

CJC said:
Clear bolus capsules where do you get them?

A Vet supply place or catalog should have them. 

CJC

Jace said:
I am pretty sure I saw that Sullivan's had them
I seen the price on them. I think I like the idea put them in the gun and put hay in the end. It's a lot cheaper.