Hair Question(:

Help Support Steer Planet:

LindseysMaine_Angus

So my steer has some good hair. But he is sweating. Im going to probably put a fan in the barn but before i do that can I just block his hair? enough to keep him warm? I wont shave him bald. But clip all the hair off his face and do the normal clipping procedure but clip his body hair a little shorter. i wont clip his ears or his legs. Or that little ski hill thing off the top of his tail. if this is confusing LMK i will help u lol :)

gbart

You should be keeping his head clipped weekly. A fan in the barn is a necessity especially if you are trying to grow hair. We have fans and misters going  in our barn all the time. Our steers get rinsed daily and stood in front of fans and then every night they get an icebath before we turn them out. The only time we clip body hair is for a show.

LindseysMaine_Angus

gbart said:
You should be keeping his head clipped weekly. A fan in the barn is a necessity especially if you are trying to grow hair. We have fans and misters going  in our barn all the time. Our steers get rinsed daily and stood in front of fans and then every night they get an icebath before we turn them out. The only time we clip body hair is for a show.

Thanks. PS im in Michigan and its getting under 30 some nights:) i guess i could turn the fan off at night

OH Breeder

LindseysMaine_Angus said:
gbart said:

Thanks. PS im in Michigan and its getting under 30 some nights:) i guess i could turn the fan off at night

You can leave fan run. We keep ours on year round. With the variance we have in temps this time year not uncommon. I would not body clip him. Just his head face. Keep air moving and as warm as it is during day still rinse daily

CANsteer

I always keep the heads clipped on my calves. For fans, I heard they should run from as soon as it is light until dark, at least in the summer. I have mine on a timer so I don't need to worry about forgetting to turn them on or off.

twistedhshowstock

Our fans never get turned off unless there are no cattle in the barn, which is rare. I would get fans on him and rinse him daily.  If it is warm enough that he is sweating, it is warm enough that short of slicking him, he would probably still lose hair even if you body clipped him. Remember that if their body temperature is ambient then they maintain hair and finish, gets above ambient and they shed hair and finish, get below ambient and they grow hair and finish.  Ambient temp for cows is somewhere around the 50s.  It has to get pretty frigid for it to get dangerous for them.

Heifer Girl

Everyone has given you some good advice. Just rinse and keep fans on him. Good luck!! (thumbsup)