HAIR QUESTION

Help Support Steer Planet:

grandchamp58

I have a steer who has pretty nice hair. He is a walks alone son x maine/angus so and his father is a TH carrier. He has hair like most club calves. However, he has a white flank and the hair is very curly and fluffy but kinda thin. Right now he is being blown out every morning, kleen sheened, and rinsed and kleen sheened at night. He is also in front of the fan for about 3 hours. I really really need his flank hair to straighten out and become thicker. Is there any suggestions how to straighten the hair or make it thicker???

Shawn_Larsen17

Sullivan has this product called wave tame, it is suppost to straiten out hair. Ive never used it but I know they have it. If you dint want to get that or it doesn't work Id say just keep brushing him and combing him some of it will straighten. As far as his I flank I would feed him some dept charge to try to get him to belly down more and cover some of that flank. Dept Charge will not solve the problem though because that is in his genetics.

grandchamp58

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I'd try hot oil and then use a conditioner with keratin in it.

Do you mean simply hot oil? Could you elaborate a bit please? It sounds like a good idea to me though...I also forgot to add that he is eating silage, so basically you could say ive been giving him "winning fill" for the last few months. He is pretty deep throughout and he is extremely wide topped. His flank is really the one thing i dont like about him.

shortyjock89

I mean like the hot oil your grandma probably uses on her hair (mine always did anyhow lol). Like Alberto V05 or whatever. We just buy the cheaper stuff from Sally's or Walmart. Some cholesterol in hot water would probably work too. Also, you know silage and winning fill do completely different things, right?