hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

haydude

i have two steers one of them has an inch of hair then the other has about 7 cm of hair we want to go to a jackpot in a week our fair is in the last week of august its at least 100 degrees here everyday they go into a cold box everyday should we just not go to the jackpot and leave them in the coldbox to grow hair for fair?

smo

depends on the steer you can go to a jackpot if you keep them under fans and keep them kinda cool but they probly wont loose to much hair in a few days my steers at fair didnt start to shed untill about 4 days in

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I wouldn't go, no point in getting your animals all hot and off of feed or like you say losing too much hair. The fair is def a way more important show that some jackpot, jackpot shows are there all year round. 7cm really that is roughly 2.8 inches of hair, that one is def gonna have a problem in the heat of the trailer and show.

haydude

The Show said:
I wouldn't go. You run the risk of them getting sick and falling off feed.

Both steers are at 1350lbs and our top weight for our fair is 1450 lbs. this is our first year showing steers and there is not much experience in the holding a calf from now to middle of september. We feed 6 lbs grain 4 lbs beetpulp.2 lbs high glo per calf per feeding and we feed twice a day. they have access to all the oat hay they want.

Attachments

• IMG_0013-1_opt.jpg
    IMG_0013-1_opt.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 166