Hairest Simmy Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

sizzler14

I have a halfblood Simm cow. Shes a Total Solution x In Dew Time. She will be 4 this spring. We are going to put an egg in her but if she doesn't take to that, we want to A.I her after. She had a King Meyer heifer last year and shes bred to Walks Alone this year. If she doesn't take to the egg, we were thinking about breeding her to a half blood or purebred bull. Which bull would be best? I am looking for a bull to throw me a SHOW HEIFER!!!!! I am not in the commerical business so I wouldn't be interested in a bull of that type. Which Simmy bull throws a little more power and HAIR? I know hair isn't a big thing in Simmys but which bull throws a little more than others. I was thinking of bulls like Maximus, Fat Butt, Chopper, Homeboy, Renegade, or GCC Whizard. I would like a bull with color so I would stand a better chance of a blaze or brockle. BUT if you guys don't think that would work I would consider Upgrade. I will attach a picture of her at 7 months old and her heifer from this spring at 5 months old and at 1.5 months

Attachments

• 417933_232799753468608_1089010427_n.jpg
    417933_232799753468608_1089010427_n.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 224281_347834528631796_1820924667_n.jpg
    224281_347834528631796_1820924667_n.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,015
  • 301784_281865111895405_1015496098_n.jpg
    301784_281865111895405_1015496098_n.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 332

firesweepranch

Mo Better. Every Mo Better calf we have had has tons of hair, and he will add rib and muscle. We bred Mo Better to our half blood (Macho x daft pic/angus) and got a great bull. Lots of hair and bone.

He even has heifer sexed semen pretty cheap through Genex. He will tank the EPD's, but since you are not worried about that than no big deal.

Bi-Lane Livestock

I would vote Chinook vor obvious reasons....but seriously he will add a bunch of hair, power and look with Baldies on both side of his pedigree and a never miss cow.  Semen will be available commercially this winter.

Attachments

• chinook_hip.JPG
    chinook_hip.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 431
  • Chinookpic_small.jpg
    Chinookpic_small.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 458

sizzler14

I had bought 5 straws of Him the day Matt publicized him but never got it because of collection. It worries me he never collected this year. I did hear he is producing now and was turned out with a group of cows. What is His semen quality now and how many cows did you guys get him bred to?

Bi-Lane Livestock

He ran with cows at Rhoades Cattle in June-Aug and then Nathan has been getting him collected at Great Lakes Sire Services and has had great quality.  Basically when he was purchased he had not been collected or attempted, this was in April.  Lots of young bulls that have been purchased early or on display at Denver, etc get started being collected early and this helps the maturity process.  I am not sure how many cows he stuck this summer naturally for Rhoades but I know he is collecting well now.  His mama is very fertile and we recovered 15 sexed embryo's this spring and turned around and bred back right away.  I actually have no ownership in the bull, just bred him and would like to see him get used on some good cows, I will be using him myself this spring on my best two halfblood simmi's.  As far as why ownership split I will let either Matt or Nathan disscuss that....none the less the bull is very fertile. 

GONEWEST

I like the bull above as a choice for a half blood. I doubt any 1/2 blood bull will give you as much hair as the Trendsetter which was mentioned earlier. But he isn't a baldy. As for purebreds it would be difficult to beat Macho for hair.

dcattle

Bi-Lane Livestock said:
I would vote Chinook vor obvious reasons....but seriously he will add a bunch of hair, power and look with Baldies on both side of his pedigree and a never miss cow.  Semen will be available commercially this winter.

Ya i was wondering what the bull is and what it is out of and who owns him he is quite impressive
Thanks

SEA

Bi-Lane Livestock said:
He ran with cows at Rhoades Cattle in June-Aug and then Nathan has been getting him collected at Great Lakes Sire Services and has had great quality.  Basically when he was purchased he had not been collected or attempted, this was in April.  Lots of young bulls that have been purchased early or on display at Denver, etc get started being collected early and this helps the maturity process.  I am not sure how many cows he stuck this summer naturally for Rhoades but I know he is collecting well now.  His mama is very fertile and we recovered 15 sexed embryo's this spring and turned around and bred back right away.  I actually have no ownership in the bull, just bred him and would like to see him get used on some good cows, I will be using him myself this spring on my best two halfblood simmi's.  As far as why ownership split I will let either Matt or Nathan disscuss that....none the less the bull is very fertile. 

To Bi-Lane:

What is the pedigree on Chinook and what is his % Simm?  What is the other breeds % in his pedigree if not Simm? 
Who is dam (what production is she know for)? 
What semen company is carrying him?
How much $$ is semen cost per unit? 
What person owns him now? 
Are the owners putting up any female sexed semen on him?

Thanks!  (clapping)

Bi-Lane Livestock

Thanks for the nice comments, we are exited to see his impact.  He is a little over a 5/8's Simmental by blood but is only registered as a 1/2 blood....his other 3/8ths would be chi and maine.  He is sired by Chopper and his mother is a Friction x a bull called Ricochet, he is a (Meyer x Black Max).  Her mother is a Ricochet x Habenaro and comes from a great cow line.  Chinooks mother is a maternal sib to the Sacred Ground bull owned by Vince Hoffman and she is a never miss young female.  Chinook was only her second calf, this year she had a top selling Monopoly market heifer that the Snedden Family in Iowa will be showing, see below picture.  She is a young cow that in my mind will make a mark on the industry, she always throws a great look in a very sound package with plenty of power.

Chinook is owned by Rhoades Cattle Company in Indiana, Nathan Rhoades 260-341-0325.  He is currently working with distributors to have his semen available via Top Sires, ABS, SEK, etc....should be available this winter, I believe he will be at $25 or $30/straw.  He has not collected him for sexed semen yet as he is just building inventory currently but that will happen at somepoint.  I hope to see him get used on some good cows as I know his backround and he is the real deal.  It is interesting to see him at stud next to others....I am not sure if he is there currently but if anyone want to see him he is either at Rhoades Cattle Company (Avilla, In), or at Great Lakes Sire Services http://www.greatlakessireservice.com/
Hope to get a mature picture of him this spring as he is growing into a impressive beast.  Thanks for the interest and good luck to all.

Attachments

• Sacred%20Ground%20LR.jpg
    Sacred%20Ground%20LR.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 598
  • Piper_MLC pic.png
    Piper_MLC pic.png
    382.1 KB · Views: 377

RC Co

sizzler14 said:
I had bought 5 straws of Him the day Matt publicized him but never got it because of collection. It worries me he never collected this year. I did hear he is producing now and was turned out with a group of cows. What is His semen quality now and how many cows did you guys get him bred to?

Let me know what i can do to get you those 5 straws.  his semen quality is great. He had plenty of it all along, but it was not mature enough to freeze. Geat Lakes does a great job of only freezing semen that meets their standards and we were pushing a young bull pretty hard ( he was only 12 mos on april).  i purchased him with the intent to cover cows, so when that date hit, out in the real world he went! From may 20 to june 30 he ran with a small group of cows that i hand picked.  Once we pulled him we fed him for a couple weeks and then started collecting him again.  it was just what the doctor ordered because hes been freezing 120-200 units per jump since!  i appolagize for not meeting your needs this spring but give me a call and get some for this year!  he is currently running with our first small group of fall calvers
Thanks for your interest
Nathan Rhoades

Simmgal

I have heard that Rendition and Cut Above are both good for hair. I have a Cut Above with decent hair, way more than her dam. I will have Rendition Calves around the 1st of the year, so I can let you know more then or in a few months. I had a Grandmaster daughter with unbelievable hair this past year too. My other Grandmasters are small, but they have plenty of fuzz. I had an Upgrade daughter with decent hair too. I'm not a hair grower, so I can't be of much help here!  O0

grandchamp58

After looking through this thread, I really liked the Chinook bull. From personal experience, however, I really like Mo Better-he really adds muscle and bone. But I also like the look of Upgrade alot. Thats JMO. Thanks and good luck!

WKYIronMike

I'm thinking Star Power throws alot of hair. My Star Power x DMN Daisy Mae sire has fluffy hair like everything and so did his calves, I've got 2 sons of the bull and everybody that seen them are bragging about their hair. I'm thinking it is coming through the Star Power genes.