hairy heel warts.....help

Help Support Steer Planet:

hunter1

what can I do to get rid of hairy heel warts and what causes them?

DCC show cattle

hunter1 said:
what can I do to get rid of hairy heel warts and what causes them?

we had them on one calf the entire time we showed (9 years) with multipule calves in the barn it is caused by moisture if your in texas i would advise taking him to dr. warner in elgin. If not in texas i just advise taking him to the vet

common sense

You need to stay on top of this. I would recommend Dr. Warner as well.  If you are in an area with some large Dairy herds I would find out who they use as vets. It is very common in Dairy herds and they have great ways of dealing with it.

Dr. Warner's phone number is 512-285-3375. 

Good luck.

EMK Livestock

I agree with others in that Dr. Warner is an amazing vet but Hairy-heel warts are a simple problem that most vets should be able to address. This is a fungus, that can easily be treated by the application of a tetracycline bandage for 7 -10 days. The next question is in how to deal with a fungus in your barn. By drying out your barn and allowing the bedding to dry every now and then will help with any fungus. Some people put a deep layer of sand and lime under their bedding to help with this. Best of luck, and stay on top of it.

bueno

Hairy Heel Warts are NOT fungal.  ONce you have them on your place they are almost impossible to get rid of, hairy wart disease  lingers in your soil, calves can contract them in dry conditions as well as wet conditions. It is good to see a vet to learn how to treat them but it isn't going to be good to call a vet everytime one appears...they can make a calf go lame pretty quick and can come back and back even once treated.  If you suspect haiy warts (lameness, not wanting to put the back of foot down, horrible smell, or you can see them) you should put the calf on the table and treat with a combination of oxy tetr  on top of bandage plusl coppertox and place this combination on a bandage and stuff it up  between the hooves on the bottom side, and then wrap it tight, hopefully they won't fall off, but remove several days later.  As preventative you should buy a foot bath and walk them through it up to the hairline with duramyacin x 2 and coppertox full bottle mixed with water.  Try not to use the bath over and over that has been sitting or has been crapped in or else you are bringing in more contamination. Good luck they are a nuisance and not to be confused with foot rot 

DiamondS

We got them when the cow herd was moved to Kansas from Connecticut.  We cleaned the foot with soapy water and drizzled on a mix of DMSO and LA200.  About 5 days of that and they were gone.  I got them in 5 out of 40 critters, but they haven't ever come back either.  Disinfect everything you use between animals!!!