Halter Breaking Headache

Help Support Steer Planet:

ColdWthr

I have a heifer that has been in the showbarn since the end of Sept. As far as blowing and washing, she acts fine. However, when you try to lead her she drops her head. She doesn't run or balk, just WILL NOT raise her head off the ground.  I've halterbroke 100s of head and most of the time they will eventually quit this with the daily routine but I don't see any quit in this one's future.  If she wasn't so good I would turn her out to make a cow but I hate to give up on one this nice. Any suggestions as to what to do to get her to hold her head up while you lead her?

LindseysMaine_Angus

My steer done that for a while and I started halter breaking him when he was 580 lbs. You said she doesn't run or balk but she will not raise her head. What kind of halter are you using? Maby tie her with her head up where it should be but just a little higher and scratch her with the show stick so she knows this is correct behavior. Do this for a couple days just tying her up and do all the rinsing and blowing no leading for a couple days. (I only lead mine on the weekends because I don't have time to lead him during the week  :eek: ) and then when you lead her tap her under the chin with your foot and don't kick her but not *oooo tappy tap* (lol) hopefully that isn't to confusing. If it is just PM me.
Lindsey

knabe

Were u constantly holding her head up or would she do it without pressure?  Sometimes they put their head down in response to constant pressure.  Kids do this essentially when they pout.  I always got their heads to go up without pressure gradually specifically to avoid this behavior.  Try to get them to lead with no pressure on the lead and any small good behavior scratch them.  Sometimes u ca make a game out of it by scratching  for just a sec.  Try some feed or syrup on your hand or something they like to smell.

ColdWthr

I've tried all of that on her. She's been getting rinsed regularly since the end of Sept. You would think she would eventually see what you want her to do and give in.  I've used a regular halter and one with the ring in it to release pressure but it doesn't seem to matter. 

HelenH

Positive reinforcement goes a long way in training calves, pups, kids.  Correcting bad behaviour upon the first sign also works best.  Cattle are habit forming creatures.  i.e. Cattle adopt routine for milking-time,  grain-time and come to the barnyard. 
I have sent you PMs of on-farm solutions, please confirm.  If the heifer is otherwise quiet and predictable; a show experience may be the best medicine.  Often you become their best friend in unfamiliar facilities and they behave near perfect with guidance.  No show opportunity available?  Create a mock situation including trailer ride with other animals to a different facility.

Showgirl33

Have you tried a halter with spikes on it yet? I had a steer once that liked to put his head down and smell the darn dirt out in the show ring...but once I put that halter on him he straightened up.

ColdWthr

I absolutely agree with routine and that they are habit forming creatures.  That's why I keep telling myself that eventually she'll quit and act right once she sees what I want her to do.  Sometimes she is hard to even get her head tied up, just darn stubborn.  On the same hand, sometimes she is fine.  I'm still puzzled lol

AAOK

Stick her in the trailer with her head tied up where you want it when she walks, and then take her for about a 6 hour ride.  She should be ready to cooperate when she gets home.

SeannyT

I don't know who you are or your physical attributes (so don't get mad too at my suggestion) but if you are a smaller person, I suggest getting a larger person to try holding her and lead/scratch while using all their might to keep her head up. Seems like a no-brainer but sometimes more muscle will help the situation. I have had to help girls who were halter breaking that had animals doing this and just couldn't physically hold up the animal's head.

vc

You might try the reverse, tie her with her head down low, and tie her short. let her stay there for a while (2 hours or so) once you untie her she may just want to hold her head up.