Halter Breaking Problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

nkotb

I have a heifer, weighing about 550, that we're having trouble with in the halter.  I had her where she would take a couple steps when you pulled on the halter, and then I would stop and pet her.  This was going pretty well until the day my dad came out to "help."  He decided the best bet was to try to muscle her around.  Now any time there's any pressure on the halter she just wants to pull backward.  She's not flighty or mean, just no forward motion.  Any suggestions?  I realize I need to just start over, but not sure how to do this as she will just bull up and try to walk backwards when there is pressure on the halter.

rackranch

If it keeps up I would have a Chiropractor check her neck. I've worked on calves that wouldn't lead because it hurt their neck when you pulled on the halter.  I see this most often when people use extreme force such as tractors, 4-wheelrs, or what ever to try to break their projects.  This is a very bad idea by the way.  But even some forceful pull or jerks can pull the upper cervical spine out of alignment causing tenderness and pain with just light pressure.

Other than that I think you have the right idea.  I would consider leading her to her feed at feeding times.  Sometime this will build trust and they will go since its time to eat. G-Luck

caledon101

Rackranch...I completely agree with your logic; you can really injure an animal if you use brute force to halter break them. What we have done is exactly what you suggest; try to gently lead them to feed and make it a positive experience in as much as that's possible. They all have unique personalities as we know and patience is very important.
We have never used donkeys but we do have a custom fitted quick detach gate that we use with the tractor. Important to note....we ONLY use this when we have made good progress prior. It's not something I would ever recommend as a starting point! Using a bull low gear we can gently move them forward and tilt their heads up slightly when necessary.
It's for fine tuning only. And, it helps to keep me from spending time at my own chiropractor as well.
I also like the system for other times such as picture taking. We can tie up 5 or 6 to the gate and move the whole group out to the picture area at once and, to keep them in the shade. It helps to keep the whole bunch quiet and relaxed and also makes it easy to quickly pull them out, get them ready, and pictured. The photographer appreciates it and we get the job done in less time usually.

Attachments

• training pic.jpg
    training pic.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 169

knabe

pull to the side and when they move their feet, release.

also look up "pull to the side" as there are several threads on this problem.

nkotb

I was thinking there used to be a thread titled "Breaking Calves Using the Red Method," or something to that effect, but can't find it now.  Any help there?

BTDT

As I mentioned in the other thread about breaking a calf, this was a battle that wasn't won by your Dad.  Calf - 1, Dad - 0.

You have the right idea, go back and start by re-gaining her trust. You might even try hand feeding her a treat when she leads.  Once she has remembered that you are a good guy, she will reward you by leading without problems.

PS. Keep your well intentioned Dad holding a pitchfork and not a halter!!  ;)

nkotb

We have started over completely, haven't had a halter on her for a couple days.  I feed her in a small pen and just brush her, pet her, set on a bucket in the pen with her etc.  It has helped immensely.  Will be putting a halter back on soon and trying to start over.  Dad means well, but it's pretty tough for me to tell the man who knows everything how to do anything.