Halter Breaking question

Help Support Steer Planet:

kattleluver

Being all alone could definitely be a issue!! I've had it happen with both calves and horses! A buddy might be good... When it comes to the jetting off a tractor and a person at his side might be a good idea. I've actually wondered about that but haven't had a problem that bad since to test it. One halter on right, a halter on backwards and even a lead rope on the left would give you the leverage of 3. We had a stubborn heifer that if she got going forward wanted to take off so we used 2 halters. 1 person walked just like normal the other on the right was right behind. If they take of you have control of both sides (like reins) plus you have two people pulling from both sides. It worked great on our heifer she walks forward now... Instead of walking backwards and running forward. When they get bigger it's harder that's why I used the extra halter giving me more man power, more leverage, better all around control, and someone on both sides!

Good luck!!!

Jrobertson30

never tried it but i was told if you tie a rope onto his halter about the length it takes him to start running and tie the rope to a  pole or something very solid lead him and when he tries to run let him but hold on to the rope like your still leading him and run with him. Then he will get to the end of the rope and it will stop him dead in his tracks and after a few times he should be better. But like i said i havent tried it Just heard about it

braunranch

So, my question is, what is that "Breaking Halter" I have seen; it had a metal loop for the nose with a ring on th top, and a chain for around the ears. Does something like that really work? He has a little mean/stubborn streak in him.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions  ;D

I won't even think about halter breaking anything without a ring halter. Since using them i've never had a animal get away from me usually can lead them somewhat after  tying them up 2 or 3 times. We used to halter break 10 to 15 long yearling bulls a year with them weighin close to a ton,now we just tie break them, different sale. The 1'st time my wife helped me tie them up she thought i was crazy, she grew up showing cattle and fitting etc. She swears by them now as well.
The key to the ring halter is basic give and release. As soon as that animal steps ahead the pressure is released, with a rope the halter just keeps getting tighter the more they fight. With a ring they'll usually stand tied with a loose rope in about 20 to 30 minutes. Of course temperment makes a difference. I used to always get a few that would flip themsleves etc with ropes doesn't happen with a ring. Getting them to lead is also pretty slick you can step into their shoulder and let them step ahead of you instead of pulling on them. if they go to quick the ring has enough power to turn them. you'll have a bit of a challenge with this guy being spoiled but the ring will help level the field for you. Donkeys a rea great but if you need to break 10 or 20 at a time you can't beat a ring halter. we have about 20 of them some for calves and some that will fit a 2 year old bull.

SD3737

For sure being alone is part of the problem and a big one at that!!!! Especially with a scared calf you need to put another one in with him. My grandpa use to tell me the most dangerous cow is scared one penned alone.  I just got done working with a real tough calf and what I did was put him in a pen with with a very well broke/tame heifer. As I combed and worked with the tame calf the scared one started to trust me more and more to the point where he also wanted to get combed and scratched. Now I have a halter on him and he leads fine. I am convinced that you have to gain trust form the calf before you work with the halter. Halter breaking is a ton easier if you can comb a calf without it being tied up before you ever halter it. In your case the calf is obviously scared if he trys to run on you. If he trusted you he wouldnt try and take off. Sometimes you have to start form ground zero and just gain the calfs trust back. This process will go alot smoother with another well broke calf in the pen as well. Good Luck

titanic

Tie him up as high as you can and start to mess with him and then put a 25ft lead on him and tie it to a sturdy post and let him run. He will learn not to after a wile. 

MCC

Firesweep, how did this end up? What did you end up doing for inquiring minds such as mine?

Latest posts