Halter breaking steers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

WBar Farms

Alright I have two steers that I just bought that are not halter broke. Theyve been weaned about a week and come from a pasture setting so they haven't had alot of human contact.  They weigh around 500 and 600lbs.  How do you guys suggest I halter break them? Just put on a halter and tie them up or what and is leaving the halter on bad? Thanks for any input.

kobo_ranch

Congrats on your new project!  Since last year I basically asked the same questions, and the nice folks on here were more than happy to oblige... I'll get you going.
I will tell you right off that we started much younger and with lighter calves... but you should be able to break these guys the same way, just be more careful.

DON'T I will say again DON'T just put them in the chute and put the halter on them and tie them up!  I'd start with a small pen say 15x15, with a show stick, no halter in site....
put them both in there and very calmly just stand in the pen, don't attempt to catch them or get in a rush.  I will tell you it TAKES TIME to break a calf the right way, but it will pay off in the end.
Just stand in the pen, calmly maybe walk around, talk to them, if they get excited just stand back till they calm down.  Gradually and when they are calm slowly try and scratch them with the show stick. VERY SLOWLY.  (a note here...IF you have a gentle calf already somewhere good to put them in the same pen)

Continue to do this till they are calm and let you 'scratch"them.  Continue till they finally let you place your hand on there back or hip area.  (May take a few days or less depending)  When calm and used to you...then take your rope halter and put on the end of your show stick and touch them with it...play with them with it.  After a while you should be able to actually put the halter on there head with the showstick (or combo of) your hand.  Let them drag the rope of the halter until used to the tug...  or you can grab the end of the rope, but DON'T force them to do anything at this stage.  Calmly and I mean CALMLY hold onto the end of the rope until slowly you can do a slight 'tug' and they turn there head toward you.  After a while like this you should be able to slowly get them near a tie spot and tie them.  IF they act crazy you may be moving to fast)  After tying be calm and continue to scratch them with the stick or scotch comb.
Don't leave them tied to long the first time.

This should get you started...there's so many others on here much more qualified than I to walk you thru this...I had to learn fast but eventually broke about 16 steers last year.  I messed up royally on the first few...but eventually after a couple of the great guys here on the planet helped me it went so much smoother.  GOOD LUCK! <cowboy>

CAB

I thought that there maybe some help in the Hall Of Fame section here on the planet for you don't know for sure. There have been a lot of threads posted up in regards to breaking calves. You may want to try to search the archives here on the planet.

OqRanch

:-\  Trial & error.  Every calf is different.  Get ready for a lot of fun & a little aggrivation.  Hard work pays off.

Dyer Show cattle

The best way I have found is to tie them for a day or so and comb them when they are eating. Then wash them and start blowing them. Broke 30 calves in just  a few weeks last year. Calves were all calm and easy to work with in a week.

LazyGLowlines

I use the same method as Kobo_Ranch and found it to be very successful.  Don't get in a rush, be patient.

chiangus

OqRanch said:
:-\  Trial & error.  Every calf is different.  Get ready for a lot of fun & a little aggrivation.  Hard work pays off.

<beer>