Halter Breaking

Help Support Steer Planet:

[cowgirl_up_47

In your opinion (I know everyone has their own), what is the best way to halter break calves? Our county fair is in 18 days (I know it's close)  and I have a calf that still needs to be halter broke. We have used the tying them up and leading to water method, and working them in a pen method.

I'm thinking I am going to pen her up and handle her and break her that way, scratch her with a show stick, brush her, etc... Is this the best way to go with fair so close? She is about 6 months old, if that helps any.

She needs to be calm enough for a ten year old to handle her. Any other suggestions?

inthebarnagain

Yes start about two months earlier, at least.  I wouldn't trust an 18 day broke calf with a 10 year old at a show, I don't care how laid back the calf is

box6rranch

Sorry, I have to agree. At this point I think you've waited too long. Even if you get her pretty much broke at home taking her to the fair grounds for the first time chances are she's not going to cooperate. I wouldn't take the risk of having anyone hurt. We've been working with our two 6 and 5 month old calves for over 60 days now that we are taking to fair and I'm not even sure they are going to be calm.

shortyjock89

Nope, not gonna happen if a 10 year old has to handle the calf.  I would say it's possible at 45, and definitely do-able at 60, but not 18.  Something usually "clicks" with calves betwen two and three weeks and they really start to get the hang of being worked with, but if you mess with that early on, you might have to start over or worse.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Nope, not gonna happen if a 10 year old has to handle the calf.  I would say it's possible at 45, and definitely do-able at 60, but not 18.  Something usually "clicks" with calves betwen two and three weeks and they really start to get the hang of being worked with, but if you mess with that early on, you might have to start over or worse.

Kryptonite hadn't had a halter on him a week before the NAILE & he did OK, but those are the exceptions & not the rule.  It's possible @ 18 days, but the calf better be pretty docile or you'd better have lots of free time to devote to that calf.  A 10 year old showing it wont help either, but it could be possible.  I'd work with the calf all day, everyday & see how it turns out.  It may not work, but I'd give it a whirl.  I've done some amazing things in a few days, but I've also had a few that took weeks. 

Best wishes & I hope that it works out well! 

TJ     

zak

I  HAVE BROKEN A CALF 10 DAYS BEFORE THE FAIR. I DID NOT HAVE A 10 YEAR OLD HANDLING HIM BUT HE WAS VERY CALM.

ZAK

shortyjock89

TJ said:

Kryptonite hadn't had a halter on him a week before the NAILE & he did OK, but those are the exceptions & not the rule.   It's possible @ 18 days, but the calf better be pretty docile or you'd better have lots of free time to devote to that calf.  A 10 year old showing it wont help either, but it could be possible.  I'd work with the calf all day, everyday & see how it turns out.   It may not work, but I'd give it a whirl.  I've done some amazing things in a few days, but I've also had a few that took weeks. 

TJ       

Kryptonite was also bred to docility.  I took Magic Man to a show ten days after I first put a halter on him, but he was also very tame and let me brush him in his run before I put a halter on him.  I would never hand a 10 year old kid the halter of a calf that has been worked with for less than three weeks. 

herefordfootball

I think it's too late. A ten year old kid takes the halter then the calf takes off and 9 times out of ten it's the last time a kid touches the halter with any calf. I'm just saying with a younger kid you've got to make sure he or she is going to have a safe enjoyable experience or they may not want to even attempt to show again. JMO.

chris

kanshow

I agree..  probably not doable.  I'd still work on her & get her halter broke.  There is always the exception but I would not risk that on a 10 year old. 

TJ

TJ said:

Kryptonite hadn't had a halter on him a week before the NAILE & he did OK, but those are the exceptions & not the rule.   It's possible @ 18 days, but the calf better be pretty docile or you'd better have lots of free time to devote to that calf.  A 10 year old showing it wont help either, but it could be possible.  I'd work with the calf all day, everyday & see how it turns out.   It may not work, but I'd give it a whirl.  I've done some amazing things in a few days, but I've also had a few that took weeks. 

TJ       

Kryptonite was also bred to docility.  I took Magic Man to a show ten days after I first put a halter on him, but he was also very tame and let me brush him in his run before I put a halter on him.  I would never hand a 10 year old kid the halter of a calf that has been worked with for less than three weeks. 

We are on the same page.  Unless the calf is pretty docile, it probably "ain't gunna" happen, especially with a 10 year old exhibitor.  I was just pointing out that it isn't impossible, although it's most certainly is not ideal.   

DLD

Depends on the calf and the kid.  I'd agree that it's iffy, but not impossible - just spend all the time you can with them, but be honest with yourself when it's time to go to the show - if they're not ready, don't try it.  You'll at least be that much closer to ready for the next one.  Good luck.

TJ, you have a pm.

blackcows

I am going to have to agree with what others have said, it probably won't be possible.  One thing you should also consider is how you effect the other kids at the fair if you bring a half broke calf to the fair.  My kids will spend about 60 days or more working with their feeder calves; rinsing, brushing, leading, using a stick, etc. prior to the fair and nothing p$$ses me off more than people that have spent 10 days halter breaking their calves and come into the ring with a calf that isn't broke and won't stand still.  They bump into everyone elses calves, walk into the rear of the other calves, stop, bump the other calves after the kids have them set up.  They disrupt the entire class.

Mike

[cowgirl_up_47

Thanks to everyone who put their 2 cents in. I wasn't thinking it would be very doable this close to the fair.

I think I am going to try to break her, but if she isn't ready when it's time, she won't go.

braunvieh

I think it will alll just depend on the calf and how they handle the whole process. I would go with the tie up and lead to water and feed route as it may get her broke faster and get her to think of you as someone that she likes and trusts.  I have seen numerous people bring very very green broke calves to the fair and they are pretty much broke by show day so it can be done, especially if the work and time is put into it. But, I wouldn't even begin to get a 10 year old involved until the calf is leading and calm. Good luck.

[cowgirl_up_47

braunvieh said:
I think it will alll just depend on the calf and how they handle the whole process. I would go with the tie up and lead to water and feed route as it may get her broke faster and get her to think of you as someone that she likes and trusts.  I have seen numerous people bring very very green broke calves to the fair and they are pretty much broke by show day so it can be done, especially if the work and time is put into it. But, I wouldn't even begin to get a 10 year old involved until the calf is leading and calm. Good luck.

I don't plan on letting the 10 year old help until she leads fine and is calm, can be petted, brushed, etc. This is a 4-H fair, so there are LOTS of people to help if we needed it, but I would rather have her well broke before we go, especially with a 10 year old handling her.

I guess we'll see how she handles it and if she will be ready...

jlingle

Let me pitch in a little something here as well.  Your 10 year old isn't the only one that needs to be considered.  There are going to be plenty of other kids around at that 4-H fair and if your kid leads a wild calf at that show that isn't cooperating, it isn't just your child being put at risk.  Just imagine your child leading that calf & suddenly some little kid jumps out of the bleachers, or goes running by the fence by that calf..... it'll probably blow sky high, and your 10 year old won't be able to do anything to keep that calf under control.  Other kids will be put at risk in that situation. 

I ain't trying to pitch rocks at you, I just want you to consider how other parents might view the situation. (thumbsup)

farwest

Got in a 400 pound stocker feeder in I days before fair.  Put him in a 13 year old hands. Second overall stocker and won overall showman. Have broke several display cattle under 5 days.

Jill

I think there is a lot of melodrama going on here.  The amount of time it takes to break a calf depends on the calf and the kid, I have seen 10 year olds that can put the 17 year olds to shame and there are calves that never break down, you can't put a time frame on any of it, it just depends on the calf, do your best and if you get it done great and if not no big deal.  Don't let a guilt trip keep you from showing your calf, they are animals and any calf no matter how broke can spook in ANY given situation, if you're confortable with you 10 year old showing, that calf is as broke as it needs to be. 
As far as what works best, the answer is work, brush and rinse and lead and do it some more, we find that trailer rides break a calf as quick as anything, take a couple of them out for a ride and then come home and brush some more.  Good luck and let us know what happens

box6rranch

The craziest thing I've ever seen was during a steer class at county fair a steer broke loose from a 16 year old boy. Jumped the panels, ran around the show ring in front of the bleachers. Everyone was trying to catch him and that freaked him out even worse. Some idiot took a ladder to block one of the entrances and the steer put his head right through the slates and now was running around with a 12 ft ladder on his head. He ran back into the bleacher area and people were literally throwing the kids, wives etc. up the bleachers to get out of the way. He was finally caught but it was quite the scene. I still to this day can't figure out why they didn't let the stupid steer out of the show area away from all of the people. It's a wonder the other steers didn't blow and no one was hurt.