hard and soft fat

Help Support Steer Planet:

fed_champions

reinforces the idea that older cattle get stale... I just skimmed so i may have missed it, but what feed causes an increase in the Stearic acid... May help with feeding old cattle, maybe a certain ingredient to stay away from?

rackranch

So how to we get oleic acid in our feed or stimulate the production of oleic acid or the [Delta]9 ??? I drench our steers with omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids but still dont understanding if there is a coorelation between them and oleic acid??? help

GoWyo

Sounds like what we knew all along.  Best tasting beef is corn-fed, not grass fat.  I don't mind a grass fat coming off strong spring grass though.

AG TEACHER

GoWyo said:
Sounds like what we knew all along.  Best tasting beef is corn-fed, not grass fat.  I don't mind a grass fat coming off strong spring grass though.

The best tasting beef is from an animal that has been healthy. unstressed, and had a balanced diet its entire productive life.. You cannot take a beef animal that is not correctly designed to do well on grass and expect them to do well on it.. therefore they cannot produce a quality carcass if they are fed poorly.