hard whiskey

Help Support Steer Planet:

DCC show cattle

SEA said:
To:  DCC,

I understand your point about bulls at the stud barns.  The bulls may not be in the "best possible situation for viewing or evaluating", compared to say in a level pasture.  However, standing still for several hours and not seeing them move at all in a display stall is not either.   Many times the bull studs are the only place that most of us can see the A.I. bulls, "live and in the flesh", as they are there at the stud for a prolonged period of time, and the studs allow visitors to view bulls.   

Please allow me to restate my original question.

Has anyone seen the bull Hard Whiskey "On the Move", or walking and in his "working clothes".   Perhaps in a pasture setting.  Perhaps at the NWSS going back and forth from wash rack or display.  Perhaps somewhere else?

I am not trying to discount or criticize the bull at all, in fact I really like what I have seen in photo's, and what I have heard, about Hard Whiskey.  I am seriously considering using him this spring on some Simmi cross cows to produce replacement females.  In my program, I normally, do not use a yearling "unproven" bull for the production of replacements, as it is a "high risk" venture.  I am just trying to find out more information on this new sire and perform my "due diligence", and research him as I do on most of the sires that I use.  Normally, for my herd, if I can not view, find out enough information and get the answers that I am looking for, on a particular bull, I do not use them.  You know the old saying, "there's allot of fish in the sea".

Thank you,

Probably the most respectful reply I have recieved about a bull type post. Thanks for that and was not questioning you as I know a lot are straight and structurally incorrect as a lot of people believe the number 1 factor to a good bull starts with thickness instead of the cow he is out of...! That being said I completely 100% agree with you on being scared of a new bull the reason I didnt use and of the bojo sons, chopping wood, or some of the others. That being said I have a clean Irish Whiskey X Spin Doctor cow that I sure might try him on!

SEA

Thank you Olsum and DCC Show Cattle for your excellent posts?

Olsum;  I was in hopes that the "one issue that keeps you from using Hard Core", if it is what I am thinking of, would be getting "bred-out" on this next generation son.  Instead, it sounds as if it just got "passed on".

Telos

SEA said:
Thank you Olsum and DCC Show Cattle for your excellent posts?

Olsum;  I was in hopes that the "one issue that keeps you from using Hard Core", if it is what I am thinking of, would be getting "bred-out" on this next generation son.  Instead, it sounds as if it just got "passed on".

What might that be?

knabe

DCC show cattle said:
not starting anything but every promoted bull i have ever heard of that was seen at the stud has "structure problems" almost makes you wonder how much they actually get to move around and let the bulls be cattle instead of just standing around and collecting for a week...think the studs might be some of the reason for structure issues instead of the actual cattle?

So the non-promoted bulls at stud are sound?  Being cooped up all day probably magnifies soundness that might not otherwise be a problem if they could get out more like a real boy....so yes I agree about being at stud being a contributing factor. Walking around pumps blood and probably makes their feet feel better.

DCC show cattle

not saying the non promoteds are sound just no one sees those and the number one "problem" with promo bulls is structure yet some breed super sound

CAB

All I am going to say is if you are going to breed some of these highly promoted yearling bulls. Try to go see them or have someone that you really trust as a good judge of bulls take a look for you,preferably B4 you test them out. While saying that, I am also sure glad that many of you are willing to prove these same bulls for us.

Telos

CAB said:
All I am going to say is if you are going to breed some of these highly promoted yearling bulls. Try to go see them or have someone that you really trust as a good judge of bulls take a look for you,preferably B4 you test them out. While saying that, I am also sure glad that many of you are willing to prove these same bulls for us.

CAB. Wisdom. Best advice.

Dennis

Stopped at Hawkeye on my way home from the Iowa Beef Expo. Needless to say, I was very impressed with Hard Whiskey. Big rump and top but yet very smooth through the shoulders blending into a nice extended neck. I walked the bull in the pen and did not see any structural issues and he walked with plenty of base width with all hoofs pointed in the proper direction. The bull also seemed to be very docile. I like his frame score at this point in the bulls life as I am still a guy that appreciates and expects performance in the bulls I use. Sorry, but I only took pictures with my phone and they are to dark to post. I also appreciate the fact that the cow line backing this guy is full of winners as I believe a bull is more likely to sire like their dam versus their sire. I am also one that does not like to use an unproven bull, but I hope to get semen on this guy as I think he is worth the risk.

SEA

Can anyone tell me what the current status is on the Maine Anjou bull Hard Whiskey?  Did he ever collect and freeze "good" semen?  Is it for sale?  How much?  From Whom?

ZNT

I've done some checking on it, and sounds like it still is not available.  Not sure the reason why.

obie105

From what I heard it is suppose to be available sometime this fall.

ZNT

I had seriously considered using him, but I have concerns about any bull that was born in March of the prior year, and was unable to produce quality semen until the fall of the next year.  Fertility is a big part of our program.

CAB

If  I were considering using Hard Whiskey, I would want to talk to one of the owners directly to find out the exact status of the bull is just for the reason that ZNT is stating in his last post.

obie105

From what I heard they had problems with the semen that was collected at hawkeye it was extended down to far to use.  They had him recollected at a different location to reissue semen to the people that bought some of the bad semen. Then from what I uwsnderstand he has been running with cows all summer. I would call Jason and talk to him about the bull.

SEA

Extended down too far...???

Say it Ain't so!   :eek:  

LOL!   ;D

ZNT

SEA said:
Extended down too far...???

Say it Ain't so!   :eek:  

LOL!   ;D

Maybe they just got the extender formula mixed up with a formula from one of their other clients.  (lol)

Tyler

A lot of questions about Hard Whiskey.....Anybody have any calves coming this year?  Anybody plan on using him this year now that his semen is readily available?  What kind of cows are you using him on?  Do you think his time has come and gone already with his semen being basically unavailable in his early years?

bryan6807

Been told to use him on big, soggy made females (lots of guts). most say the calves are good, but can be hard doing.