Have I not done enough?

Help Support Steer Planet:

big w

Alright so I have a steer that I got a little over a month ago that's just a real pain in my butt. Its not that he's overly wild that you can't work with him but to get to that working point is the trouble.  In this month I've worked with him mostly everyday at least once mostly just while he's eating I sit there and just pet him try to befriend him so he's not so sketch about things. But its not working he's as crazy as ever I can't walk up in the pen pen to pet him sometimes he refuses to come get food just cause I'm there and he seems deathly afraid of a rope halter. Once I get that halter on its not to bad but he's so sketchy about weird stuff.  Heck I mean I got another steer home last night and I can already kinda walk up to him and he's not so sketch heck I could have put a halter on if I wanted.  So I guess the point is is there any advice anyone can give? The biggest thing that makes me mad is the guy said he was calm and that's something that I make sure they are because dealing with wild ones are a pain. I've heard of people sending steers back now with this guy I don't know how he works that but if I can't get this steer tamed I'm not gonna even get to go to any winter shows. Anyone have advice?

kobo_ranch

As humans every calf is different.  One can be as calm as as a old hounddog and the other can be as wild as a hyena!  We have all types this year.  From what you describe he doesn't sound that bad.  If he's not charging you or trying to run you over he can probably be tamed easily.  It just takes time.  Let him drag that rope halter around a while (if he's broke to it) then just rub him and scratch him without messing with him till he decides it feels good.  Don't try to lead him or anything.)  Couple of our steers are just now calming down after 6 months of working with.  With one still 'wild eyed'.  Patience is what it takes.  If you don't have it... well you have to make that decision.  Good Luck!! 

Bulldaddy

If I can't get one gentle enough to lead in a week or so they get a trip to town.  Life is too short to tolerate a bad attitude no matter how good the calf.  If you have had him for over a month and he is still wild it is time to call the owner and ask for a refund. 

Earthmover

Just tie him up! not for ten minutes eitherI mean 3or 4 hours. Tie head level the first 2 days then start tieing his head up high. he'll be a different calf in a week

fed_champions

Dont throw him out, put him on a donkey if u have too, or if he's really bad send him to someone who breaks calves professionally. I always tie them up to the fence, (if they are real bad with the halter, i get a piece of rubber tube and make a ring and tie the halter to that, this gives a little bit), then i take a showstick and rub up and down their back and scratch their belly. Another trick i learned from a halter breaker, is to put soap on their back, then leave it in for a couple days. It slightly irritates the skin  and makes them itch, therefore when u scratch them it will increase their affection toward you.

lowann

Our experience is, you have to get then used to being around humans before you hook them up to a Donkey.
We have had really good steers go step for step with the Donkey, then when any of us get close to them, they explode.
It takes time, and allot of patience. Sometimes they never get over the fear of humans. Sometimes you get lucky.
Good luck!!