Heat after calving

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hereford399

How soon after calving should a cow show a natural heat roughly? I'm trying to see when my recips should show after they calved in February and march.

firesweepranch

Usually 45 to 60 days, but can be earlier. We had 7 calve in February and the first week of March, all have cycled at least once (and two have cycled twice) except a 2 year old heifer, and she was 60 days yesterday. I am thinking maybe I missed her heat??? Ours are set up for new embryos on April 26th, and two have already been AI'd back.
So, this leads to another question; what if one DOES NOT cycle back in 60 days? When do you do something about it and what do you do? Never had one go this long, even 2 year old's. And she had a small calf and her weight looks great! Go figure...

McM93

firesweepranch said:
Usually 45 to 60 days, but can be earlier. We had 7 calve in February and the first week of March, all have cycled at least once (and two have cycled twice) except a 2 year old heifer, and she was 60 days yesterday. I am thinking maybe I missed her heat??? Ours are set up for new embryos on April 26th, and two have already been AI'd back.
So, this leads to another question; what if one DOES NOT cycle back in 60 days? When do you do something about it and what do you do? Never had one go this long, even 2 year old's. And she had a small calf and her weight looks great! Go figure...
We were in an unmerciful drought last year. We put eggs in or AIed everything that come into heat after 45 days thinking the longer we waited the worse conditions would be and we were quite right. Usually wait and synch the cows up, etc. We got along fine with our conception rates, actually better than normal. I think some of the heavier milkers did not have time to be "pulled down". Looks to me 45 days is a good rule of thumb, most had cycled once before that. On the subject of the first calf heifer, that is a tough group. We have naturally bred them in years when we had a large group just to keep our sanity. First calf, lose teeth, = AI trainwreck. We have more early grass this year than ever, and one of the five we have this time cycled right at 45 days. We are still waiting on other four....

CAB

Most embryologist would want the recips @ a minimum of 60 days post calving to have an acceptable pregnancy rate. Ask the embryologist that you will be working with what he/she  recommends.