Heat Detection Patches

Help Support Steer Planet:

KCF

Have used them for quite a few years and glued the right on top to the tailhead. Saw a neighbor put them right  in front of the tailhead.  How do some of you guys do it and do they seem to stay on one way better than the other.

Thanks
Jason

flacowman

it's more about accuracy than sticking, what kind of AI success percentages have you been getting on the tailhead?  I'm almost sure you've had at least a couple of false heat reads if you've been putting them on the tailhead itself

KCF

Been getting close to 50% and yes im sure you are right about a few false heats each year.

rtmcc

We usually put them on the grow bone, the little hump in front of the tail head before the hip bone.  This seems to have worked pretty good.  They have to really get road to get up there.  If they just get jumped by another cow in heat they usually wont rub them off up that far before the bottom cow moves.

Hope that helps.

Ron
<cowboy>

Dyer Show cattle

On my bigger cows I will usually put them farther back, then on all the heifers and smaller cows I put towards the front of the tailhead.

Doc

This time of the year I will use a horses' curry comb on the spot 1st. If I'm still worried about it sticking , I'll spray on some tail adhesive. I like the estrotect patches the best over anything else I've used.

Aussie

Last year, I hate to admit this, put the patches under my shirt got stuck to my chest hair and nearly waxed my whole chest. It hurt like hell.
When you get them warm they really stick.

Mueller Show Cattle

We talked about using these patches in AI class down in Texas. When do you guys like to AI after detecting heat with the patches, do you do the AM/PM rule if you seen the patch was rubbed off in the morning you AI that evening and AI morning if you seen it was rubbed off the prior evening when you checked? Or do you AI when you noticed it was rubbed off? I have heard of some doing the 12 hour also from the time they noticed it. But I'm not going to be AI'ing at 3 AM, so I was thinking the AM/PM rule would work best for me, what do you guys like to use?

GoWyo

Estrotect patches stick really well with the Ka-Mar glue.  Just a little dab of the glue does the job.

justintime

I have always used a bit of tag cement with the Estrotect patches.... never lost one yet. As for the Estrotect themselves, I think they are the best heat detection patches I have found.

linnettejane

i just use estrotect, nothing else...havent lost one yet
there is a link on my blog to get a free sample of 5 to try them out if you like

firesweepranch

linnettejane said:
i just use estrotect, nothing else...havent lost one yet
there is a link on my blog to get a free sample of 5 to try them out if you like

How much do they run and where do you buy them from? I went on-line to get the free ones and try them. We have always used tail chalk and have gotten by fine, but I do have one cow that seems to be very silent and sneaky when she comes into heat. I think something like that might come in handy for her.

CCW

my abs dealer that fills my tank got me some for about $1.25/patch. Buddy of mine who is tight tells me he cuts his in half and gets good results.

Dyer Show cattle

If you have any trees or anything cows can rub on I would stay away from estrotect. You will have a bunch of patches scratched off from cows rubbing on things......not real jumps. I have had the best luck with KMARS. I hardly ever loose one and don't ever get any false reads. It takes constant pressure for the red die to release into the patch to make it red. The estrotects are just a big scratch ticket that usually doesnt pay off for me. When the Kmars are red you are 95% sure they are standing, when the estrotects are red I would say if your not their watching them you are more like 50% sure its standing heat. If your watching the cows fairly decent the Kmars will only turn slightly red the first hour of jumps. Then when they are red solid you know they are standing good. Then I always breed 2 times a day. If they are starting night, I breed the next am. If they are starting to stand in the am, I breed them that evening. Then the ones that come in midnight, midday I seem to roll the dice and just pick one or the other and have never found a good one to do.