heat detection stickers

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

DO NOT USE KAMARS. Its a little hard to tell when they've been ridden, BUT when you pull them OFF, you pull EVERYTHING!!!!! IF YOU CAN EVEN GET THEM OFF. We just had a really bad experiecence with them we tried them.
  Can you say..  Glue EVERYWHERE!!!!

linnettejane

i have no idea what brand we use,my ai guy gives them to me...but they are grey when you put them on, and when a cow has been ridden, they are flourescent pink, they rub off like a lottery ticket, i guess...and there is no need to add any extra adhesive to them, when i pull them off, a patch of hair comes with it...we've used these for the past three years and i really like them...we even put them on again when we turn in the clean up bull so we can see if he has had any work to do...

herefordfootball

kanshow said:
DO NOT USE KAMARS. Its a little hard to tell when they've been ridden, BUT when you pull them OFF, you pull EVERYTHING!!!!! IF YOU CAN EVEN GET THEM OFF. We just had a really bad experiecence with them we tried them.
   Can you say..  Glue EVERYWHERE!!!!

HAHA ya that too!!! That stuff is like gorilla glue!!!

kanshow

Glue in your hair, on your clothes, on your hands, on the chute..  every where but on the kamar patch.  It is good stuff tho..  you can stick about anything with it. 

swoshowsteers

Paint sticks can be used and are cheap if you are working large groups.  A light coat of spray paint works also.

ESTROTECT

ESTROTECT heat detectors are the same product as the Estrus Alert Detectors.  The name was changed in 2006 for copyright reasons.

ESTROTECT detectors have been shown by Dr. George Perry of South Dakota State University to equal to that of a  bull for heat detection.  ESTROTECT is available in five colors, red/orange.fuchsia, blue, green and yellow.  The yellow is now available for use by color blind people who cannot recognize the other colors.  The key to successful use is to warm the patches to a minimum of 100 degrees  F immediately before application.  The heat activates the adhesive.  Secondly, use the ESTROTECT cleaning cloth that is included with the pack to clean the application site.  It removes dirt,  dust and loose hair to give a receptive site to apply the ESTROTECT detectors.  Next, press them into the hair to assure adhesion.

Previous comments were correct; ESTROTECT Detectors are also effective in natural mating programs to give breeding dates or to tell you the animal is not bred or open.  ESTROTECT detectors are  a good non-heat detector.  They can also be used after the bulls are removed to show non-heats which would indicate pregnancy.  The detectors will stay on for up to 8 to 10 weeks if applied properly.  This gives time for them to show late returns due to early embryonic death or open animals.

cowgirl864

herefordfootball said:
Bulldaddy said:
As far as I know, there is only one brand of esturus alert patches.  I get mine from my Genex rep but I have seen them in several catalogs.  Just make sure you don't get Kamars.

We use estrotects. www.estrotect.com PLUS if its your FIRST time ordering from them, just click TRY ESTROTECT, and they send you a package of FREE ESTROTECTS!!!!!. It was awesome, they sent us like ten for free, so we were set for the first breeding season, and they worked GREAT!!!!!

thanks herdfordfootball!!!!!  i went to the website, now i'm getting some free!!!  great tip

kanshow

It definitely got me hooked and now I'm ordering more. They are an excellent product.
I agree.  To me this is one of the great advances in AI success..  You can't get 'em bred unless you catch them in heat..  So Simple even a caveman can do it.