Heat Wave 1 heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

simmigirl25

I have a heat wave 1 heifer out of a simmental cow. really well balanced heifer super thick.  she needs to be a tick longer in her front end. Just curious what everyone is breeding their heat waves to and getting good results.  She wont be a year old till April 21 and we weighed her yesterday and she weighed 944 so the growth is their.

DTW

If she was mine which she isnt because i will not keep a heat wave for a cow and never have.  But i have helped calve a few out and they are very inconsistent in birth weights.  Some can throw a large calf bred to anything. And the heat wave cows pelvis seemed to be shaped differently and are smaller. 
So if she was mine i would go with a easy calving angus bull.  Get a live calf out first of all.  Helped pull a jakes proud jazz last year out of a first calf heat wave heifer.  85 lbs and hipped locked bad.  Calf never did stand up.  Probably wouldnt have mattered she had very little milk.

I had an ali bull calf two years ago this spring born at 110 lbs so would not consider him calving ease because that one never have would come out the back end of a heifer. 

Throttle

I'm afraid Ali, Dirty Hairy type bulls are not consistent enough for me to put them on a female with HW type calving issues in her pedigree. I'm expecting a few this spring out of Northern Ice. Here's a link:
http://www.shattoshowcattle.com/PowerUp/PUPS_NorthernIce_April2009_webcopy.pdf

I saw him breeding cows last spring and was blown away by his mass, hair, bone, etc. Thought he was like a HW son or something, but he was too sound for that. Come to find out he is a 3/4 Angus calving ease bull. He is better than his picture. very impressive and defect free