Heat Wave 6?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ruhtram

What happened to 6? I see he isn't listed in lautners bull directory.

ruhtram

Thanks OHB. I didn't see him listed in the semen cane code part of the directory they sent me in the mail..Always thought 6 looked the best even though it doesn't matter!!

nds

I was told that Heatwave 6 no longer can freeze semen.  Thats what Matt Lautner told me last spring.

ruhtram

Ok that makes sense. No reason to jack the price up on 6 b.c no one(smart any ways) would buy it. Figured something like this happened for them to pull him from the directory.

firesweepranch

You know, this made me wonder; how many of the heat wave clones have had issues? Are they becoming crippled like the original? Does more than one of them have problems freezing?  Since they are clones, what is in their future? I do not breed club calves, but cloning does interest me. How many heat wave clones are out there (I cruised Lautner's sire site, and saw a heat wave 16? so is there 16 clones?)? Will all of them end up like heat wave?
Just thinking... it would be interesting to find out.

kfacres

firesweepranch said:
You know, this made me wonder; how many of the heat wave clones have had issues? Are they becoming crippled like the original? Does more than one of them have problems freezing?  Since they are clones, what is in their future? I do not breed club calves, but cloning does interest me. How many heat wave clones are out there (I cruised Lautner's sire site, and saw a heat wave 16? so is there 16 clones?)? Will all of them end up like heat wave?
Just thinking... it would be interesting to find out.

most of the clones are coming into play, and being gone w/in a year or 2..

The problem with cloning is... especially when you do something old...  Every day, DNA is sluffed off, this is why people need glasses in their old age, and have weak bones, etc.... 

When you clone, you make a copy of the current genetic lineup.. which in the case of something old...  will have all the problems.. So basically, when those cloned calves are born..  You actually have an old grandma cow that is born, into a baby calf.  Or a poor semen producer, who's crippled... into a new AI sire... 

This is why I suspect these clones are coming and leaving so rapidly.. Maybe I'm wrong.. I'm not basing this opinion upon poor semen production,  otherwise every clubby bull out there would be classified "clone". 

If people were smart, and into thinking toward the future.. They would save that cell line as soon as the calf was  born... the good ones get kept and cloned 10 years later.. the bad ones would be discarded. 

BIGTEX

This is why I suspect these clones are coming and leaving so rapidly.. Maybe I'm wrong..

You're wrong!

j3cattleco

Im almost positive that heat wave 1 came out in 05 so that means the cell line would have had to be put up in 02 which would mean heat wave would have only been 2 right.  Wasn't he displayed denver 01?

Joshua

I checked and heat wave one was born in 03 so the cell line would have been put up sometime before june of 02 so heatwave wasn't even 2 when it was formed.